Potterton Puma 80e CH on even though switch is off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a potterton Puma 80e that is about 8yrs old.

When the boiler is turned on we got DHW no problem at all, but we also get CH, even though the CH switch is off.

Had never had this problem before on the boiler.

So, what led up to this situation......

Water from a blocked gutter above the boiler flu, entered the boiler via the flu and dripped through the boiler and in to the kitchen.

Waited for the boiler to dry out a bit and turned it on. kept on locking out every time you tried to use DHW or CH.

Could get it to work every now and then, and when it worked the boiler seemed to operate as normal, but would inevitably lock out again when next used.

So, placed a call with the boiler insurance people who came out and said it needed a new thermostat or/and a new gas valve.

Both the thermostat and a gas valve were replaced and the boiler was serviced.

This is when we start getting the problem of having the heating on all the time.

Any suggestions anyone?

Chris

Sponsored Links
Thermostat replaced was probably the frost stat, replaced with a boiler stat.

Call back insurers repairers.

Check M.I for part numbers.

I think you have the common problem of the contractors who do the repairs for the insurance firms having VERY inexperienced people together perhaps with a desire to change parts which have not failed to bump up the charges.

Tony

I thought most insurances paid fixed rates tony

so no gain in part chucking

Sponsored Links
Doesn't tick all the boxes, but half of them: Faulty tap water flow switch. If it sticks on your rads get hot and the boiler eventually locks out. Check by seeing if red light is on, on circuit board, when there's NO HW coming from a tap anywhere.

baxpoti said:
Thermostat replaced was probably the frost stat, replaced with a boiler stat.

Call back insurers repairers.

Check M.I for part numbers.

Fantastic - this is exactly what it was. Part ordered was a DHW thermostat, but instead or replacing this, they replaced the frost stat by mistake!!

Lucky they left me the old parts - put the old frost stat back in all is working fine!!

Thank you so much for your help!!

corgiman said:
I thought most insurances paid fixed rates tony

so no gain in part chucking

The arrangements your firm seems to mostly work to are the only time I have ever heard of that fixed labour and parts.

All the ones that call me want an agreed fixed labour but parts are extra subject to approval.

Tony

Thats much more difficult to say.

They seem to be independent companies who organise contractors to get the work done on behalf of several different insurance schemes.

The amusing part is that they have to check who the work is for as each insurer has different prices and conditions.

They usually operate under the name of the insurer and its only with clever questioning that you discover exactly who they are. As they dont divulge their real identity I have to respect that but I dont bother to rember it anyway.

There is a whole raft of companies who do work as contractors in the name of their principals. Every weel I get a call from someone claiming to be from O2 who are very pushy and when you check its actually a marketing company called MSL or similar letters.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back