Potterton Puma 80E Locking Out / Very hot scaly tap water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone..Have an issue that is probably been discussed a few times. Have a Potterton Puma 80E Combi boiler that is at least 10 yrs old (I'm tenant in rented flat). For the past month, it has been "locking out" after hot water usage. Have to reset system by putting into standby. This now happens after each hot water usage (shower, washing up). We also have VERY hot water coming out of the tap at times, when the system has locked out (water is whitish and scaly). Had a guy round today, who after only listening to me describing the problem, said that HW exchange and/or diversion valve were clogged up. Recommended replacing boiler and power flushing radiator system. Said that the Potterton's were not very credible and that "repairing" after 10 years was throwing money down the drain. Comments or suggestions?? My landlady (South A. based) will have a fit and go into stall mode, unless I have some back up. [/u]

Sponsored Links
Well thats a very simple fault which we usually fix for between £84 to £119 in our local area depending on exactly whats wrong. I probably do one or two a month!

However if your landlady is stupid enough to send someone like that then let her take his advice and you will get a nice new boiler!

As you are the tenant, your only responsibility is to pay the rent!

I hope you have a current Gas Safety certificate?

Tony

Sponsored Links
I would guess that first its the DHW flow switch sticking on. But there also seems to be a temperature control problem, possibly pump not circulating ot DHW sensor o/c.

But whatever it is, these are totally repairable boilers.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back