Potterton Puma Combi Boiler Pilot Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pilot light on my combi boiler keeps going out. It can go out at anytime but almost always going out after I have run the hot water. Any ideas as to what it might be? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi there, be warned I am no expert on this and only answer from my own experiences.

I often used to get light blowing out on Puma (and indeed other boilers). I would intially suggest 2 possible areas to look at :

Thermocouple - the copper / bronze bit heat up element to the side of the pilot light - may be worn / worth replacing. Easy to do self - available @ about £4 for local DIYers.

Also, I sometimes find that the piloyt light needs to have a flame slightly to one side to maintain light and heat to the correct elements. No so much a pilot issue but may need a gentle blow / button operation to ake sure lights okay.

Other issues I've found are light may not sta yon with covers removed.

Hope this helps. Please note though I have no qualifications / external experienc oin these matters and speak from personnal experience only. Be warned.

Other option : do you have a troubleshooting guide. Could always copy mine and forward if required.

Best of Luck, dedee9

Reklaw do the rads get VERY hot? Even when the heating is off? If so Iit's your DHW flow switch sticking. Causes overheat which puts pilot out.
Do a search on "Absolutely" ;)

Mine has been doing exactly the same, pilot light going out when I have a shower, but otherwise working fine....
Until today.
Now I have a constantly lit pilot, but no hot water or heating. When I turn on the hot tap or switch heating on, the pump turns, but the boiler does not light.
Does this sound like something I can fix myself?

Sponsored Links
Is the pump running while it's getting hot? Rhs, remove big central srew, if it comes right out poke a screwdriver in the hole.

The pump runs fine, but the boiler doesn't fire up.
I've removed the cover to check the led inside, which lights when hot water tap is running, but not when CH is selected. I assume this is working normally.
I have no hot water at all, apart from a few seconds of hot water on turning the tap on, presumably from a small amount of water being heated by the pilot light!

Hi GreenJacket.
It sounds like the same symptons as what i had.The light staying on even when the hot water was turned off and couldnt get any central heating.
If you take the front panel off there might be a checklist on the back of it.
If you follow it. The most common fault would be the flow switch.
The flow switch has a diaphram inside and that might be sticking but you will have to buy the complete unit which cost around £40 plus vat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back