Potterton Puma replacement

[/quote]
Can I just check, are you saying it's possible to remove the wax capsule from the diverter, and just run the boiler normally from there?[/quote]

It's not the wax capsule from the diverter it's the wax capsule in the
D.H.W. Thermostat/Flow Limiter Assembly - 80/80e only
I have never stripped one down I replace the valve complete the flow rate on this combi at 35 deg temp rise should be 10L/M

Sponsored Links
I spoke to a plumber over the phone, who suggested it might be the wax capsule, and so I arranged for him to carry out the work. He called me back to say the part had been discontinued, and the only option to go forward would be to replace the divertor valve (at a cost of £150 + VAT + labour - equating to approx £250).

He then (as every heating engineer I seem to have spoken to) went on to suggest that it might not even be that part, and that something else might go shortly after, and due to it's age I'd be really better replacing it with a new boiler!!!

I did a search on-line, and couldn't seem to find the wax capsule, only the divertor containing it. I see from Steve's post above I shouldn't even be looking at the divertor!

Can anyone suggest what to do next?

If someone could suggest a part number/name of part, I know someone very competent who can help, so am happy to attempt anything doable ourselves (within the law / regulations) required. Or will to get the original engineer to fit the part if I can source it myself.

When you mention the inlet filter, is this a part to be replaced, or just cleaned? (I can't seem to find it in the servicing manual - can you offer any clues?)

Or can anyone recommend an engineer who is happy to repair a boiler in the nw area?

Time is of the essence here. I'm desperately trying to do things right but, I have a new tenant due to move into the house on Monday, so could do with getting this sorted sooner rather than later!

Many thanks for everyone's advice so far

JW, I think you are going round in circles without thinking what needs to be done or who should be dealing with it.

A competent heating engineer will be able to do both- repair your boiler or replace it- You decide what you want to do. To call your engineer and then advise him how or what is defective and he then gets back to you with stories seems to be an overkill.

To be able to repair this or any boiler, one needs to know the operation of boiler- how or why it runs. It is sequential operation that is being interupted. If the fault is present, then who ever looks at the boiler should be able to repair it.

If wax capsule is what you are needing, I can supply it, but I doubt that is what is wrong- one needs to look and test, prod and pke to conclude what is wrong and then fix it.

All I can say is talk to friends and relatives and look for someone who talkes pride in his work. Invite him to look at your boiler. You will not be disappointed.. Good luck

I completely agree DP (and yes, I'm going round in panicky circles).

If I could only find someone willing to try to fix it!

Everyone I've ever had seems to say, "ohh its old and should really be replaced".

I understand it's probably easier and less hassle to fit a new one (than try to fix and be called back out etc), but that's no good for me.

No-one seems to want to give it a go! -
Hence me trying to do it myself (whilst getting quotes for a replacement boiler - see my other thread!!!)

Sponsored Links
Look for heating engineers who fit and repair boilers, not plumbers who only fit boilers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back