Potterton Statesman 45/50 oil boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a qualified gas engineer and have recently completed an oil course. I have very limited knowledge of oil fired boilers and the oftec course does not give you the experience really.

I have a customer that has a prob with a Statesman 45/50 boiler. About a month ago I serviced the boiler and fitted a new nozzle and set the oil pressure accordingly as well as adjusting the CO etc.

They have phoned me today and have said that the boiler fires up, gets a flame for a few seconds then goes out, it does this a few times and then lights and stays alight. It seems to do it more when cold and when it is doing this they can smell oil.

I have down loaded a manual but it is for a 45/50 L and not a 45/50 and the whole burner assembly is different. Any way my question is why is it doing this, what do I need to be looking at? Photocell, ignition probes?

Many thanks
Andy.

Sponsored Links
Disconnect the feed pipe to the boiler& run 2litres or so of oil into a clear container, then look at the colour relative to the picture in the oftec book.
I had a similar problem & found fuel starvation was the cause, had to blow the line clear with compressed air( the fuel filter was downstream of the tank).

You can write what I know about oil boilers on a postage stamp, but you can find all the svc/maintenance manuals on Baxi partarena complete with list of parts for said blr

What CO2 reading did you get? Could be flame detachment if too lean, especially when cold.

Sponsored Links
Also when using your Combustion Analyser on oil it is important to remember to select LIGHT OIL in the fuel selection menu it soulds like you have tested the boiler with Natural Gas selected on the FGA!!! ;)

Also when using your Combustion Analyser on oil it is important to remember to select LIGHT OIL in the fuel selection menu it soulds like you have tested the boiler with Natural Gas selected on the FGA!!! ;)

Filter was cleaned and FGA was deffo set on light oil.

What burner is fitted? If Riello 40,then P/cell is probably favourite, although the pump coil is 2 stage and could be giving you a problem. Was the burner head dirty? Was the boiler doing this before you serviced? Did you run it before you started? Is the burner set up for 1 pipe or 2 pipe system(with or without tiger loop)? When you go back, try covering the air inlet with your hand and see if that makes a difference to its behaviour. If richening the mixture thisway overcomes the problem, then check your settings again, after running for 10 mins or so.
Main difference between oil and gas is that with gas, if pressure is set and flue is clear, then everything looks after itself. With oil, you need to be more mindful of the principles of combustion.

What burner is fitted? If Riello 40,then P/cell is probably favourite, although the pump coil is 2 stage and could be giving you a problem. Was the burner head dirty? Was the boiler doing this before you serviced? Did you run it before you started? Is the burner set up for 1 pipe or 2 pipe system(with or without tiger loop)? When you go back, try covering the air inlet with your hand and see if that makes a difference to its behaviour. If richening the mixture thisway overcomes the problem, then check your settings again, after running for 10 mins or so.
Main difference between oil and gas is that with gas, if pressure is set and flue is clear, then everything looks after itself. With oil, you need to be more mindful of the principles of combustion.

Two pipe system with a Tiger loop. Head was not that dirty. The boiler did not run that well before the service, in fact it ran better after the service and after the nozzle change. Customer says it was fine after I serviced, running well and 3 weeks after I serviced it, it started to muck about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back