Potterton Suprema HE 80 lockout problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new Potterton Supprema 80 HE boiler fitted 18 months ago. Since then we have had a number of ignition lockout problems. Eventually after getting the installer to reset the sensor gap which partially rectified the problem, an Potterton engineer came under the warranty, fitted a new sensor and blamed the previous sensor gap. the problem went away for several months.

Now that it has come out of warranty, we are getting intermittent ignition lockout problems again, a couple of times a week.

On start up, there is a spark and the flame establishes from right to left. It then extinguishes. After several attempts it will either establish itself or occasionally lockout. When it locks out if you reset the temp control knob it will retry and normally fire up. I had the plumber back who installed it and they have changed the sensor yet again, with no joy, and changed the pcb. It has improved marginally but still fails a couple of times a week. he is at a loss for further suggestion and suggests going to Potterton direct. They have just quoted minimm price of £239.

Any suggestions for other things to try before reverting to this option. There seems no real pattern, at one time it looked like occured on cold mornings, but has also happend on warm everning

I see from web sites that the pcb is often quoted as problem for older models, but when I chose a Potterton I had been advised that the new model was better. Is it likely 2 pcb are that poor quality

Sponsored Links
I would check and clean the ignition electrode, wire and terminals at either end. Also the earth connector.

Check all are fitting tightly and that the ignition lead is not shorting out to the case or body anywhere.

I had a new Potterton Supprema 80 HE boiler fitted 18 months ago.

I see from web sites that the pcb is often quoted as problem for older models, but when I chose a Potterton I had been advised that the new model was better. Is it likely 2 pcb are that poor quality

flame failure is a common problem with the new suprima modules

Ignore what gas4you has to say, it's not relevant

if you bought a boiler 18 months ago and it's broken down, its probably not fit for purpose under the sale of goods act - go and google it

go to the watchdog website they have the information there

DON'T BE FOBBED OFF

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back