Potterton Suprima 30 - Won't Ignite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Suprima 30 in a five years old house. Last year the PCB had to be replaced due to the system constantly going into lockout.

6 months after the (not cheap) PCB was replaced, the Boiler is acting up again. The system randomly goes into lockout, but the reset button sometimes works, soemtimes doesn't.

Another strange symptom that has started happening a couple of times is that the Boiler has on a couple of occasions come on all by itself late at night when the heating and hot water timers have not even been set to be on.

Also, the redirector (i think that is what it is called - it is the little black box under our water tank) occasionally makes a buzzing noise when the boiler should be on but won't come on.

Today, I cannot get the boiler on at all. Pressing reset on and off all day has done nothing for me.

Can anyone advise what to do please? Am I looking at another costly engineer visit?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Strangely I went to near enough the exact same fault on a Suprima 30 this morning!

Unfortunatley I could not find anyting wrong at this visit and all appeared to be working perfect. My advise to the customer was to call potterton in for the pcb to be changed as they are now doing this for free after the watch dog progam it seems :rolleyes:

In your case with the 3 port valve buzzing it could point to this being faulty although usually these either work of fail.

Have you got 240V coming into boiler on the permanent and switched live? If so I think a call to potterton could be what you need as well.

If you havent you need to trace the fault back to where the 240V is still live. I would guess in this case it would be the valve head.

gas4you said:
Have you got 240V coming into boiler on the permanent and switched live? If so I think a call to potterton could be what you need as well.

If you havent you need to trace the fault back to where the 240V is still live. I would guess in this case it would be the valve head.

I don't know how to check this? Can you advise how I find this out please?

Thanks

If you do not know how to test live electrics or do not feel comfortable doing this then my advise is to leave well alone and call in local CORGI. We don't want you having a shocking experience :rolleyes:

If you use the same engineer he may look favorably upon you when charging you :!:

:idea: Did you know that if you send an invoice to potterton for the previous pcb with a copy of your receipt, you may get some of it back now ;)

Sponsored Links
I will have to do that then really. He was a good engineer.

Of all the times for it to go wrong again. My wife is going to be induced tonight with our first baby. I really didn't need this happening again. Hope I can get it sorted quick. Have not had heat or hot water today. Bad timing.

I did not know you could claim back from Potterton. I will have to dig out that invoice. Do you have an address to send it to by any chance?

Really appreciate your advice by the way!

Thanks

Peter

Should be on your M I's or look it up HERE

Do you not have an immersion heater fitted to your h/w cyl that you can switch on?

Good luck and congratulations in advance :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back