Potterton Suprima 30

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I have a Potterton Suprima 30 boiler in my house which was fitted from new about 3 1/2 years ago.

About a year ago the boiler developed a problem where it would start up then shutdown a few minutes later leaving the red light flashing. Initially I got it started again by pressing the Reset button, but at times I have had to power off the system totally and leave it for a short while. The problem reoccurs from time to time. The tell tale sign that the boiler has stopped is a noise coming from the airing cupboard (sounds like the pump).

When the boiler was serviced in February, the heating engineer said that I had the temperature on the boiler set to the maximum, and he duly reduced it to about 75% of maximum. This made no difference to the problem - if anything it possibly made it worse! I've increased it back upto maximum.

I have a relative who has had similar problems on the same type of boiler. He ended up paying about £260 to Potterton to fix it - PCB replaced.

While I have tended to live with the problem, I am about to let my house, so ideally need it fixed.

Any other instances or resolutions of this problem?

Thanks,

JB.

Sponsored Links
Does the boiler get a bit noisy before cutting out? If so it's pos the overheat stat tripping, pos due to poor circulation, pos due to defective pump or clogged pipework/heat exchanger.

It's quite likely your pcb needs attention, choices are (a) resoldering poor connections (b) Have the pcb reconditioned approx £50 (c) buy and fit new pcb which have been improved approx £140 or have some fit a new one.
This subject was a regular feature about 18 months ago, suggest you do a search for 'suprima' or look at my earlier posts starting march 2003.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
As has been explained, there's a number of things which could be causing the problem so you really need an engineer to look at the boiler. Not that it's easy to find unpredictable faults.
If you do decide to go for a new suprima board I have some new surplus ones, contact me via anotherletterboxATaol.com, using the @ symbol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back