potterton suprima 50 amber light flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
good evening,

my suprima amber light keeps flashing when calling for hotwater or CH. press reset button does not work. the amber is solid when CH or HW is in off position.

it is sealed system with a hotwater cylinder.

the pcb is about 4 year old, a replacement. I guess that it is a newer version

Appreciate if you anyone can help me and advise on what to check to get it working again.
many thanks

Sponsored Links
just check that my motorised valve is working ok.

ok. thank you for that. could you please show me how to do a proper check on pump ?

I have tried loosening the bleed screw, the water coming out is black color.

Sponsored Links
unfortunately, I don't have one. anything else may be of use?

Look in the FAQ to see about checking that the pump is turning!

The water being black is not a good sign although the black magnetite being magnetic is attracted into the pump by the magnetic field so the rest of the system may not be so bad. Bleeding out a little more water would helo to remove the magnetite.

The FAQ will enable you to see if its turning and spin it any might get it going if its not.

Tony Glazier

thank you Tony for the advise. I will try the FAQ

Before you start run the heating for 10-15 min and see if the body of the pump gets to hot to hold. That usually indicates its not turning.

Tony

Hi Tony, the pump does not feel hot, it is of normal temperature or in cold while the boiler is on calling for Hotwater and amber light flashing.

the pump is BG multihead 11.

I am not sure what normal temperature means.

If its the one with a black plastic knob in the midle then unscrewing it and pulling it towards you will engage the shaft and enable you to see if its turning freely.

If its completely cold then there may be no power to it. That needs testing with a meter.

Tony

good morning all.

thank you Tony, yes there is a black plastic knob.

I have tried unscrewing it and pulling it towards me. but I did not see it turning though.

also its completely cold. does it mean there is no power to it ?

that does not sound too good.

thank you as always.

will look for a new one. but is there anything that you think may be worth of checking before buying a new one?

If you pull it towards you and can feel the shaft turning then its free.

If it has power it would usually get warm and be heard to be buzzing slightly.

If there is a system/boiler fault then there may be no power getting to the pump.

To test the pump a good simple test is to power it directly from a socket with a 3 amp fuse.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back