Potterton Suprima 70L red light on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Above boiler shut down a few times, red light on all time, not flashing. Restarted with reset button, now will not restart, red light on permanent. Switch of at mains, leave for a while, usually all day/overnight, starts when mains switched on and runs as it should for 10 minutes then shuts off, red light on permanent.
Have replaced pcb, overheat sensor, and other temp sensor, anybody had this to try something else.

Sponsored Links
It seems you love to replace expensive parts instead of diagnosing the actual fault!

The last one I went to did not need any parts and was fixed within our fixed price diagnostic fee.

Have you measured the flow and return temperatures to see if there is adequate water flow through the boiler.

Or if you just want to blindly change parts then change the pump as well.

You could also change all the pipework too in case that is blocked up.

Tony

The parts I have fitted are cheap to source now and can be fitted in minutes by any one who can hold a screwdriver.
As this boiler is 6 years old now, seemed sensible to replace the obvious and ask if any one has had similar faults before getting a gas engineer who thinks his hourly rate should be the same as a nuclear physacist!

The parts I have fitted are cheap to source now and can be fitted in minutes by any one who can hold a screwdriver.
As this boiler is 6 years old now, seemed sensible to replace the obvious and ask if any one has had similar faults before getting a gas engineer who thinks his hourly rate should be the same as a nuclear physacist!

oh dear you have a very bad attitude problem don't you?

Sponsored Links
seemed sensible to replace the obvious !

if it was obvious why hasnt it fixed it?

the money you have spent could probably have payed for someone who knows what they are doing to fix it for you.

The Suprima PCB is one of the most expensive I know of!!!
if you think it is cheap, why not rip the pretty basic boiler out and put in a decent one?

a gas engineer who thinks his hourly rate should be the same as a nuclear physacist!

just out of interest if the demand is there why should he not charge the same as a nuclear worsit?

what happens if there are a hundred nuclear wotsit for everyone job available and a hundred jobs for every One RGI

dont plain basic economics mean the RGI is worth more??

and if the the general public can get ccheaper RGI's then the mean charge of every RGI would reduce purely cos if they didnt they would go hungry.

Its not personal just good old supply and demand

Also how much does a nuclear wotsit get paid an hour these days?

:)

Nuclear physicists don't earn that much more than a decent breakdown engineer, and probably less than one that is self-employed.
But even if I would charge twice that rate, it still would have been cheaper than what you have done so far.

Being a gas engineer is great; I charge £130 per hour, only work tuesday and thursday afternoons, and still earn over 50 grand a year.

What you forget, is what is shown in the old anecdote about the generator engineer that charged 60 quid for getting the generator working by simply hitting it. He didn't get paid £60 for hitting it; got paid 1 pound for hitting it, and 59 for knowing WHERE to hit it.

For your own piece of mind, keep struggling until you are convinced it is worth every penny you have to pay one of us outrageously expensive engineers, as it will still be cheaper than your wife filing for divorce.

As the trade price for the pCB probablt exceeds £160, I am surprised that you consider thats cheap.

The salary rates are probably about the same for a competent boiler engineer as a nuclear "physacist" ( whatever that job is. )

Can you advise on the salary levels for each job that you have based your conclusions on?

We charge a fixed price diagnostic fee of £84 in our local area. Which part could we fit to repair the boiler which costs over £74 apart from the PCB ?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back