Potterton Suprima Banging and whistling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a potterton suprima 50 and have an issue with it whistling for about the first thirty seconds of use and occasionally it grinds to a complete halt and large bangs can be heard from within the beast. Speeding the pump up seemed to cause more bangs.

I have recently added some fernox boiler silencer and this has been running through for about a week. Im assuming that i have scale in the heat exchanger that is causing this, which may of resulted from an earlier ds40 cleanout because of other issues that I was having with the CH system.

I know fernox claim that it may take upto six weeks to cure with boiler silencer but is this other peoples exprience of it, I am a little sceptical whether it's working.

Sponsored Links
I have recently added some fernox boiler silencer and this has been running through for about a week.

I know fernox claim that it may take upto six weeks to cure with boiler silencer but is this other peoples exprience of it, I am a little sceptical whether it's working.

clearly not in this case, at least not so far. may have to brace yourself for fx2 treatment

DS40 ( citric acid ) is fine for metal oxides but has little effect on calcium compounds.

It may have the effect of loosening calcium compounds and letting them settle in the boiler.

Sulphamic acid ( DS3 ) is the appropriate chemical for dissolving calcium compounds. It really needs to be introduced into the boiler is a small closed loop like HW only with the rads firmly off.

Tony

Are you 100% water is in the system ,not a proplem with air in the system. I just thought id give my useless info

Sponsored Links
Doe'nt seem to be air in the system, i vented the system a couple of hours before turning back on and got the banging and whistling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back