Potterton Suprima tripping out

Status
Not open for further replies.
A steady red light is 'boiler on standby' waiting for time controller to switch on, or if time contoller on waiting for a call for heat. the flashing red means it's gone to lockout mode, so resetting I assume only applies to flashing red. I think it would be wise to check some of the other components before changing the pcb. ie boiler stat, overheat stat, air pressure switch( which is a fan and diaphram operating a mirco switch). The fault finding guide should give an indication of possible cause.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Just want to add my name to the list of people with a tripping out Suprima 80 - only happens in cold weather - very annoying.

Boiler is 3.5 years old, a new pcb was fitted shortly after it was first installed - now had 3 engineers look at it - none have fixed it or come close - next engineer I will point towards this site!!

I will try and replace PCB - would be good if we could get Potterton to admit this is a problem - any ideas....

Try the ignition lead, sometimes the insulation backs off a bit & it will track to the bracket that holds it on to the burner & it will lock out the same way it does with the PCB, It's not always the PCB with these boilers......... only 99% of the time. :LOL:

Seems to me that there are a lot of us out here who have had the same problem with the PCB.
Recently had a Potterton engineer out to service the boiler but he was rather tight lipped about how often he has had to change a PCB but did say that having done quite a few it did not take very long now! He didn't find any problem with the one I had fitted so it seems that an amateur can do this although it is still quite an expensive bit of kit.
I have no idea how to try to get Potterton (or Baxi as it is now) to admit the problem. Do we all write, or talk to our local Citizens Advice Bureau or is there some other consumer watchdog somebody knows about?

Sponsored Links
Keep reading, you'll find that there's a replacement kit now. Only a few failures reported on that so far. Part no 5111603

:D Hi folks just to add my ten pence worth. I have had a lot of problems with a suprima 30 potterton boiler and know of many others who have had trouble with suprima pcb boards. However I managed to buy abrand new and boxed one of ebay for £65 compared to the normal £130 or so.

In addition I have had a myson pump blow in the same system and that fault was characterised by intermittent banging at the boiler {as sometimes it wouldnt circulate at all and the water began to boil in the pipe from the boiler. This led to the thermal cut outs as well with flashing red light trip indicator at the boiler.
Best regards,
Chriso

Thanks for the info on the Potterton Suprima lock out problem .
Removed PCB. Noted some tarnished areas around component D10 and D6 resoldered both and seems OK 4 weeks now :p

Hi,

We had the lockout problems with Pot boiler (red flashing).
After changing the PCB, and the motorized valve the problem still persisted (very intermittently).

Later we found it was because the ignition probe was not positioned correctly (should be 3-4 mm from the gas outlet according to manual).

I would recommend people to check this before changing the PCB etc.

Cheers.

Dear fellow "Lock-out" sufferers

The corgi experts and the Spare parts vendors inform us that Suprimas came out of the factory with problematic PCBs, and Potterton recalled Suprimas on the shelfs and replaced them with the new type PCB to alleviate this problem.

Scores of people in various heating forums are wondering, soldering, trying to help each other and paying from £50 to £250 to change the faulty PCBs, yet nobody questioned whether Potterton should correct this inherent manufacturing fault on their own expence.

Why do we not all UNITE and demand this.

Comments and extra suggestions would be appreciated, Thank you, Nicholas

Letter sent to BBC Watchdog, as per suggestions in other forums.
Comments and extra suggestions would be appreciated, Thank you, Nicholas

"......Dear Sir/Madam,
I wonder if you could help us with this.
There is an inherent problem regarding Potterton CH Suprima boilers, which we started suffering about two months ago, on our 3-4 yrs old boiler. Warranty expired.
From the postings of scores of fellow sufferers on this, in various web forums (diybanter.com, DIYnot.com, etc),it is clear that the Suprima range of boilers, which all incorporate the same type of PCB (Printed Circuit Board)the heart and brains of controlling the boiler, was a manufacturing fault.
We heard that as soon as Potterton noticed it 3 yrs ago they recalled and changed the PCBs with a new type on all Suprima boilers on the shelf.
Me and the other people on the forums contacted Potterton, but they refused to admit the fault. Could you help us please?.
Regards, and thank you for your wonderful program Nicholas. ........"

I am giving up on my Potterton Suprima. It must have cost Potterton more than what I paid given the 5+ call outs - the house is in the Isle of Wight. The guarantee has now run out.

I have been told that BG no longer installs it as it is too unreliable for BG to offer. Is this true?

rfcdobbs said:
I have been told that BG no longer installs it as it is too unreliable for BG to offer. Is this true?

BG constantly changes the boilers they install, but the problem is mainly with the early batches of suprimas anyway, the boards now are quite good. You could always take out a BG 3 star contract then the spares wouldnt be a worry.

ChrisR said:
As before, not much point buying a recon pcb when new 5102160's are around so cheap. £50 now.
Some repairers are buying up the older boards cos it's a lot less work than changing the looms an all with the new kit!
Once the new kit is in, at least a pcb change costs a bit less than before!
Hi Chrisplease advise how I can purchase one from you?

whatever you do dont fit the old 5102160 pcb as i will tell you they are very troublesome but the new 5111603 kit is superb as i have fitted well over 100 and only been back to one :LOL:

the problem you have is that potterton by law only have to give a 1 year guarantee and these pcbs tend to go down after approx 3-4 years !!

i must say though that i still go out to alot of old ones (to service them) and they dont have any problems

i have found that its normally ones in cupboards that pack up quickly as im sure it is down to the heat from the boiler that causes all the problems and that is why the new ones are in plastic boxes and the ones on the suprima he have been put on the bottom of the boilers which doesnt get as hot :confused:

To everybody(!) I .......have none now of the 5102160 which I use where I decide it's appropriate, for a cheaper repair, so not selling any more.

I haven't yet put a 5111603 in a Suprima 100. It says you need an extra part, 5113950 for some of them. Wossat? Is it do do with the later fan?

In addition as well also, can anyone enlighten the assembled muggles about the diagnostic mode, entered by holding reset in for 10 seconds?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back