Power Flush for new central heating system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I looked for ages but couldn't find the answer to this specific question, so apologies if it has already been covered.

I am having an install for a completely new central heating system, including Vaillant combi boiler. It will have new copper pipes, rads and a filter for the boiler.

My plumber tells me it will not need flushing as it is a new system, which sounds reasonable to me, but a friend (who is not a plumber!) thinks I need it power flushed to rid any debris from the install, and he thinks the 5 year boiler warranty will be void if I don't get it done.

Does it need to be done (or a chemical flush???) and if it does, why does a new system need flushing, as it should all be clean and new?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
A cold and hot flush should suffice, any debris will be caught by the filter. But if the flush has already been included in the install cost - why not, it won't do any harm.

Debris and more importantly residual flux needs to be removed.
A flush is what I would recommend to neutralise the acidic properties of flux. That is not expensive and you will protect your expensive investment from problems associated with corrosion. A few quid spent now will be worth it.
Afterwards, the correct inhibitor will protect system for many years.

Thanks very much for your reply

I will challenge my plumber and ask for a flush of the system - is this different to a "power" flush?

Is there any reason he would be reluctant to do it? I dont mind paying the extra as this was not included in his original quote. They are adamant it doesnt need it, but if the concensus here is that it does then I will get it done as I want a proper job!

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Its nothing to do with a powerflush as this is done to remove a build up of sludge/debris from older of defective systems.
Yours should be done to ensure all debris and flux is remove that may be in there from the installation process.

Its nothing to do with a powerflush as this is done to remove a build up of sludge/debris from older of defective systems.
Yours should be done to ensure all debris and flux is remove that may be in there from the installation process.
Most manufacturer instructions call for this.

The cold flush will get most of the debri out and when he hot flushes it you will see the water is initially a milky white this is all the flux residue etc coming out .
When your plumber says it doesnt need flushing i would imagine he is refering to powerflush.

A lot of people call the cold flush a leak . :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back