Power Flush risk?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking at purchasing a new boiler and i have been told by two different plumbers that came to check the job out that the Boiler manufactures will not honour the boiler warranty if the system is not power flushed to remove all the crud which could clog up the new boiler.

Not a major problem i hear you say.
Here's the problem, i have microbore connecting all my ground floor rads (upstairs it's standard 15mm)
Both plumbers told me that because the house is 20 years old that power flushing the microbore runs a high risk of blowing it.

So what do i do.
I need a new boiler but if i don't power flush, the boiler want be covered should it go wrong.
If i do power flush I'm told i could blow the microbore :confused:

Sponsored Links
Theres a risk it could blog it up being micro bore pipework,i have never blown microbore apart.

I would stick some kamco fx2 done it and run for a few days to break the sludge down,then power flush

Both plumbers told me that because the house is 20 years old that power flushing the microbore runs a high risk of blowing it.
Nonsense
The power flushing unit pumps the water around at the same speed as your boiler would...
The difference being the ability to instantly change the water direction at a flick of a switch....this is what dislodges and kicks out the crud....

The only scare warning i give my customers is if one of the radiators is badly rusted inside then my power flush is likely to knock this rust off and then the radiator may develop a pin hole leak and will need replacing
(Better that i find that problem than your boiler at full steam finding it)
or
If one of the rad valves is a bit old and knackered then water may weap from this and may need replacing..
As yet i have only ever had to change 2 valves.....

And with micro as already stated there is the possibilty of clogging up the junction that all the micro runs out from.....
But i seem to have micro down to an art now and offer to do a second flush free (except for chemicals) if i dont clear or cause a blockage....

The plumbers are correct about the manufacterers and warrantys....although so far only a few have used this reason and its not well publicised yet...

Things to ask your plumbers
Do they own their own power flush unit?
Or are they going to hire one?
If they hire one be carefull its not an industrial commecial one, these "may" damage micro bore
A normal domestic flushing unit will not, i have done many of them.

Where will they carry out the flush from?
IE: will they connect directly into the boiler pump?
Or into one of the radiators using the tails?
Connecting directly into the boiler pump is the best and most efficient way..

Make sure they carry out the flush with the old boiler in place or before the new boiler is fitted.....

The flush should realy take all day....do not accept a few hours for the flush

Make sure they give you paperwork stating you have had a proper flush incase you have to use your warranty and the boiler manufacterer asks for it hoping to wriggle out of the claim...

Any more questions please ask...
Might pay you to price up for changing the micro bore to 15mm

Also as already said above if you have a towel radiator i would shut the valves off to this and drain about a litre of water from it and then in the top screw i would add something like the Kamco FX 2 and run the system a few days before they are due to flush it...

Good luck

If the boiler is installing in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions then they'd have a hard job wriggling out of any warranty. Do note that you'll generally need to service the boiler annually to maintain a warranty beyond 12 months.

Some manufacturers may specify a power flush, some certainly don't. Whatever you do should be proportional to the level of crud in the system because the instructions will include words to the effect that the system needs to be cleaned. If you know it's all bunged up and just quickly run through some DS-40 then you might have an interesting argument with them later.

Sponsored Links
Oh dear!

All the boiler manufacturers require is that the system is CLEAN !

If the boiler is damaged by YOUR dirt then the manufacturers will not cover that under the warrantee. Rightly so!

How the system is cleaned is up to the installer.

Many microbore systems cannot be power flushed.

Sometimes microbore will get clogged when power flushing is attempted.

Tony

Yea i kinda worded that wrong.....wrote it before my coffee this morning...

I have a Kamco Clearflow CF 30 classic
What i meant was although the water is pushed around at high velocity its still low pressure so wont blow micro bore up....

And i have successfully flushed a fair few micro systems.....Dont know what all the fuss is about with micro bore......
I connect to the boilers pump and always have 2 rads open to help increase things....

If u have problem's with your current system ??? e.g u are worried about sludge or rubbish in the system ??? not able to flush it correctly ect ect , there is a way of installing your boiler , were bye most if not all ?? boiler manufacturerer's would have to honour there warranty's , irrespective of wether it was flushed or power flushed , in fact it would have nothing to do with the manufacturer ,( stuff em ) :)

If it was my property the money you will be spending on flushing would be better off ripping out the microbore and replacing it with proper pipe work making sure it is worked out correctly and the rads are correctly sized

A new condensing boiler needs proper temperature drop across the flow and return,so if you want to achieve the efficiency that your boiler is capable of then set up the heating system correctly

The alternative is to clean the system and wack the boiler on and hope for the best with your new ultra efficient boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back