Power Flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been reading an old thread and saw a power flush is a big job and can take a day to do. so what does it entail, as it took them a day to put me a new combi in (had back boiler previous) and on the gas boiler commissioning checklist it says

The system has been flushed in accordance with the boiler manufacturrs instructions

The system cleaner used = Power Flush
The inhibitor used = +100

Sponsored Links
HI

then you do not need power flush.yes it does take about a day if properly done. :D

A Power Flushing machine has a powerful pump, and a water tank. It is usually connected with short hoses to the CH system on the connections where the pump goes. It squirts a cleaning chemical through the pipes, and the chemical, plus the force of the rushing water, washes away old sediment so that it can then be drained away. When it is running you will hear the pump going, and some rushing water noises. You should also see the operator going round the radiators, turning then on and off and bleeding them, and you will see the dirty water being drained away with a hose. If you are in the house when it is being powerflushed you will notice it happening. The machine is big enough that you wil notice it being carried in and out of the house, and being connected up.

Failure to clean out the old sediment from an old system is liable to cause later blockages, and also wear in moving parts like the pump. It is also liable to invalidate the boiler's guarantee.

i agree a dirty system takes about a day....
however i have connected up for a powerflush, on a boiler swap job,and the system was clean as a whistle, so after a couple of hours, your just wasting your time as water is coming out clean...
so it depends on the systems health !

Sponsored Links
hi guys, thanks for the info, definately never had a power flush done, wonder why it says it is on the commissioning checklist :confused:

Hi sassie, I remembered my old password :)... I need to 'KeepUp'!!!

I remember you had a Back Boiler and if I'm not mistaken it was replaced under the Staywarm/Eager Grant System?

When they fitted the new boiler did they replace all the Radiators etc? Don't worry if not, they normally just do the boiler. If the old pipework and Rads are still in place (which I assume they are) then they 'can' have bits of old debris lying around. That stuff can get into the boiler and cause problems so if it wasn't flushed out, then as JohnD says the Boiler Manufacturer may invalidate the warrantee as it will have been a requirement in their Manufacturers Instructions (MIs) for the Boiler. The MIs should have been left with you so you could have a read through and see if it is stated as a requirement (I'd be surprised if it isn't). However, there is a difference between 'Flushing' and 'Power Flushing'. As the name suggests, 'Power Flushing' uses a greater amount of pressure to flush the system. Where as 'Flushing' simply means... 'Flushing' ie with water and a chemical. There is a pressure involved but not at the level of a Power Flush and it does not involve a machine.

So first port of call is to check the MIs. They will certainly place a requirement for 'Flushing'. If it states that 'Power Flushing' is required then I would suggest that this is the reason the Commissioning Check Sheet states that a Power Flush has indeed been done. I further suggest that a requirement of the boiler manufacturer for a Power Flush would also constitute a 'contractual obligation' between the fitter and Staywarm/Eager for one to have been done. That may be another reason it has been ticked off!.... Of course, it may be the case that the fitter did indeed carry out a Power Flush.

all i can find in the book is

If the boiler is installed in an existing system any unsuitable additives MUST be removed by thorough cleansing. BS7953:1992 dtails the steps necessary to clean a domestic heating system

And now the bloody thing keeps firing up every 11 minutes for DHW preheat, when this is suppose to fire up every 90 minutes or so

If its an Ideal Isar then the valve in your washing machine is probably leaking!

Tony

If its an Ideal Isar then the valve in your washing machine is probably leaking!

Tony

yes i have sorted it now, although it is still firing up more often than it should although i have found a tiny leak on the hot water pipe down stairs hopefully it will be sorted tomorrow and have turned boiler off for now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back