Power flushing - how do you know if you need it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I own a property that is currently rented out. The tenant recently complained about noise coming from the boiler and heating giving out. I called in a BG engineer who, I am told, has replaced the pump which rectified both the noise and heating problem. However, he has recommended a power flush at a cost of approximately £700. Add that to the cost of the call out and repair (£200) and my pocket is taking a bit of a bashing. :(

I would be grateful for thoughts on whether a power flush is really necessary and, if so, how often I should expect to do it and and how much should I expect to pay. The central heating was newly installed in 2000, so it may well be time but I lived in my last place for 15 years and never had a power flush with no noticeable problems. The property is an upstairs maisonette with 3 rooms in addition to a kitchen and bathroom. I think there are 6 radiators on the property in total. The property is in London.

All thoughts gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
power_flushing.gif
:idea:

Thanks for that. At present the only sign of a problem, that I am aware of, is that the pump needed replacing. The diagram indicates repeated pump failures so maybe I can adopt a wait and see policy?

Perhaps you should look at it as a choice between a powerflush or a chemical flush not a powerflush or nothing. Powerflushing is not the be all and end all of efficient heating systems. Chemical flush would be whole lot cheaper and probably all it needs.And it probably needs a clean if it's on the same water after 9 years.

Sponsored Links
Thanks steady. What is the difference between a power flush and a chemical flush. Having searched around the net, I saw references to flushes where you clean out each radiator separately. Is that the same thing? Sounds like a very long job and v. messy and since the property is tenanted have to keep mess and inconvenience down to a minimum. Sorry for my ignorance!

Kevplumb - I have been looking around for an independent but its so hard to know who you can trust. The cheapest quote I have seen is around £300. I saw another for £400. But difficult to know if these prices are in the mid range for a good independent contractor or if they are on the low side which would then raise warning flags. Actually the £700 isn't looking as bad as I was expecting. I have read posts where people have been quoted similar back in 2006/2007 (although possibly for bigger properties).

chemical flush means you add a sludge remover chemical and circulate it round the system for a few hours to a few weeks then drain off and refill a couple of times at least,the last time you refill, adding an inhibitor chemical to protect the system. it's not a big job to do. a powerflush involves use of expensive powerflushing equipment and the chemicals are added under pressure which shifts more of the crud more quickly.

If you are fond of DIY plumbing and are willing to do a couple of half-days work, then a drain, chemical clean, subsequent drain, rinse, rinse, rinse, refill will help, esapecially if you fit a Magnaclean as well (it will cost about £100 plus fitting) as it will catch remaining black particles circulating in the water (you can never get it all out).

Very often a chemical clean plus a Magnaclean, and adding a good inhibitor on final refill of course, will clean up the system enough that you won't need a powerflush. it will also prevent future accumulations of black sediment. You have to empty the captured sludge out of the Magnaclean at least once a year, more often in the first few months.

Thanks steady. What is the difference between a power flush and a chemical flush.
Both use chemicals added to the water. A power flush uses a machine to circulate the chemical, instead of relying on the boiler pump. Others have described the DIY chemical flush.

The important thing with a power flush is that the job is done properly - see for example Sentinel Jetflush Manual.

Some cowboys don't bother to do each rad individually, which keeps time and costs down. If you decide to have a power flush, get it in writing exactly what they do and what guarantee they give that it will solve the problem.

Thanks steady. What is the difference between a power flush and a chemical flush.
Both use chemicals added to the water. A power flush uses a machine to circulate the chemical, instead of relying on the boiler pump. Others have described the DIY chemical flush.

The important thing with a power flush is that the job is done properly - see for example Sentinel Jetflush Manual.

Some cowboys don't bother to do each rad individually, which keeps time and costs down. If you decide to have a power flush, get it in writing exactly what they do and what guarantee they give that it will solve the problem.
Hi, surely the DIY way is pushing all the sludge through the boiler, not going to do the boiler any good? Does the powerflush bypass the boiler? If the chemicals cost £100 Approx, then the rest is labour, £600 per day.What planet are they on.Soon pay for equipment.Sounds to me like it,s been invented to make money, Even £200 per day + materials is OTT.We don,t all live in london, in the wrong trade.Boiler manufacturers must be in on this by desgning boilers with Micro-bore systems, It al seems too cosy for my liking.

Most people doing power flushes bypass the boiler and dont actually do any treatment to the boiler at all.

The reality is that most power flushes follow a problem with the boiler and while that cleans the radiators it still leaves the boiler full of dirt. The customer is then often unhappy with the power flusher and has to call someone like me to treat the boiler.

I always find out the situation and quote for power flushing AND dealing with the boiler. Since thats often more expensive the job usually goes to someone cheaper who does not deal with the boiler.

Tony

Most people doing power flushes bypass the boiler and dont actually do any treatment to the boiler at all.

The reality is that most power flushes follow a problem with the boiler and while that cleans the radiators it still leaves the boiler full of dirt. The customer is then often unhappy with the power flusher and has to call someone like me to treat the boiler.

I always find out the situation and quote for power flushing AND dealing with the boiler. Since thats often more expensive the job usually goes to someone cheaper who does not deal with the boiler.

Tony
Hi Tony, do you not think that powerflushing is very OTT price wise? Surely theres no need for 5mm tolerances in a system that operates with materials that corrode, it,s an in built fault, a boiler, like cars are scrappage after 5-7 years today. It,s all about money not efficiency, what,sefficient of scrapping all the time, change the design.

I think the price we charge of about £300-£350 is very reasonable as we give a proper guarantee for it and do the job properly with the appropriate chemicals.

Boilers are designed to be as efficient as possible. That means narrow waterways to increase efficiency.

As long as the installer properly cleans the system then there will be no problem and the boiler will have a long life.

I am using a 40 year old modulating, copper heat exchanger, low water content boiler to heat the water in a launderette !

Tony

I think the price we charge of about £300-£350 is very reasonable as we give a proper guarantee for it and do the job properly with the appropriate chemicals.

Boilers are designed to be as efficient as possible. That means narrow waterways to increase efficiency.

As long as the installer properly cleans the system then there will be no problem and the boiler will have a long life.

I am using a 40 year old modulating, copper heat exchanger, low water content boiler to heat the water in a launderette !

Tony
Hi Tony, thanks for reply, obviously you are genuine, however, the heating market is a big one, lots of cowboys.My Vokero is 15+ years old, still working, slight pilot light problem, but not 90% efficient. I think this efficiency lark is all a ploy to change the boiler every so often, you can never recoup your outlay before it needs changing again to keep up with the regs. Who sets the regs? We are all being duped on the back of Global warming and efficiency, a boiler efficient if it does NOT need regular maintainance, not the other way round, like he world we live in today.Buyer Beware.Thaks Tony.Ciao

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back