Power Flushing ??????????

I used X400 on my mothers old system during the summer, and fitted a Magnaclean. It trapped all the circulating black, and carries on trapping it indefinitely.

X400 can be left in the system permanently to loosen sediment (though if you haven't got a Magnaclean you will not be taking the sediment out unless you drain it). My mother's Magnaclean is still trapping about a teaspoonful a week so presumably it is still getting a the system a little cleaner as time goes by. In the first few weeks it was trapping a lot more, but the amount has been declining. The water is clear and not black now.

You need an inhibitor when you refill after your last drain, otherwise it will corrode some more.

Sponsored Links
I used X400 on my mothers old system during the summer, and fitted a Magnaclean. It trapped all the circulating black, and carries on trapping it indefinitely.

X400 can be left in the system permanently to loosen sediment (though if you haven't got a Magnaclean you will not be taking the sediment out unless you drain it). My mother's Magnaclean is still trapping about a teaspoonful a week so presumably it is still getting a the system a little cleaner as time goes by. In the first few weeks it was trapping a lot more, but the amount has been declining. The water is clear and not black now.

You need an inhibitor when you refill after your last drain, otherwise it will corrode some more.

I take the Magnaclean is ok for open vent systems ? How much ? and where from ?

Thanks.

£100 or so, from most plumbers' merchants. I've fitted a few and quite enjoy checking how much crud they've caught. It's always good news - a lot of crud and you're glad you fitted it, only a little and you're pleased with that too. It would be nice to get feedback on the crud level without having to dismantle the thing - some electronic sensor maybe?

Sponsored Links
Alternative cleaner is HYPERFLUSH from kemko, I have used it with amazing results. Having said that, if the system is that old, a powerflush with fx2 from the same company might do a better job. Depending on the amount of rads of course, but a powerflush for a average size house should be around £350 like Dave said.

You know that, I know that, but the bloke at the supplier’s can`t hear the difference.

;)

I was thinking of the OP and others trying to Google on kemko, that's all. I don't go in for petty point scoring, you know. ;)

I don’t go for point scoring either, but give me a chance for sarcasm or cheap humour………….

:evil:

JohnD said:
X400 can be left in the system permanently to loosen sediment...
No, it can't, because it won't stop the ferrous components from corroding.

X400 is a short-term treatment. It's pointless, and foolish, and pointless, and foolish, and pointless, to leave it in there indefinitely.

"can't" ??

When I used it, I drained and plain-water flushed, but I don't see that it can do any additional harm or cause corrosion, remembering that the inhibitor is added after the final drain. the makers now say that X400 can be left indefinitely and there is no suggestion that it should be a substitute for inhibitor.

If you have a Magnaclean or similar device, then there is a point to leaving it circulating, since the X400 will continue loosening the black sediment for an additional period, which the Magnaclean will trap, so it isn't pointless.

JohnD said:
"can't" ?
Quite so. You've said that it can be left in indefinitely and that it will continue to loosen sediment. Well, it won't, therefore you can't.

When I used it, I drained and plain-water flushed, but I don't see that it can do any additional harm or cause corrosion...
I have never said that it causes either harm or additional corrosion. However, if you leave it in forever and don't drain and don't add inhibitor, then it will result in harm.

...remembering that the inhibitor is added after the final drain.
If you drain then the X400 isn't left in there indefinitely in it's role as a cleanser.

the makers now say that X400 can be left indefinitely
This business of you quoting the fact that Sentinel have said this "now" makes it sound as though they have removed some previously imposed time limit - this is particularly misleading, because the dosing advice is this:

After cleaning the system in this way, it should be filled with fresh water and protected from further corrosion using Sentinel X100 inhibitor.

Sentinel X400 needs to be circulated in the system for a minimum of two hours at operating temperature, but can be left circulating for up to 4 weeks in heavily fouled systems.

...and there is no suggestion that it should be a substitute for inhibitor.
I can't find any suggestion from anyone, including me, that contradicts this.

If you have a Magnaclean or similar device, then there is a point to leaving it circulating, since the X400 will continue loosening the black sediment for an additional period, which the Magnaclean will trap, so it isn't pointless.
I don't know whether you've been careful, or careless, in leaving the word "indefinitely" out of that sentence, but without that word in I agree with it.

To reiterate: the longer you leave the X400 in, the less effect it has, and the longer you leave the sediment in, the more time it has to re-coagulate, and the longer you leave the system without an inhibitor, the more time it has to corrode.

That is why it's bad advice to be telling people that they can just leave X400, or indeed any cleanser, in the system indefinitely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back