Power Flushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I power flush my central heating system using mains water via hose. If so what is the best way.

Sponsored Links
Put in some Sentinel X400 for a week, then cap off vent and feed pipes, then connect mains onto pump inlet and hose to drain from pump outlet, close all radiators except one, flush each rad at a time by closing rads on and off individually, when done reverse connections and start again, uncap vent and feeds, refill adding sentinel X100, works for me every time.

After such a flush is carried out, I suggest a water sample be taken from top of rad. You will be surprised to see cleansing chemicals in full strength in the sample while drainoff is crystal clear.

Sponsored Links
Back in my days at school in chemistry the rule was rinse 3 times. Based on that you'd want to drain (open bleed valves too), refill, bleed and circulate, 3 times to be sure it was all out. All valves open when circulating of course, or perhaps better still just one on at a time to make sure the water is pushed through each rad.

BTW. I found when draining my system for cleaning that the feed was faster than the drain so I could have the drain open and the pump on. That should have shifted a lot (still need to drain and refill to be sure thought).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back