Power for cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to be installing a chimney type cooker hood in my kitchen.

Would it be acceptable to install a single socket or FCU above the hood on the part of the wall covered by the chimney or does it need to have external isolation?

The socket or FCU will be part of the kitchen ring with the cables running from the ceiling down behind the hood chimney.

Here's a rough picture of what I want to do.

hoodwiring.gif

I’m aware of Part P and I’m just installing oval conduit and sinking backing boxes so that I can keep things moving while I save up for the (unexpected) rewire.

Sponsored Links
There should be a means to isolate the supply that is easily accessable without the need to remove the chimney.

It is not impossble for a fault or heat damage to leave the hood's exposed metal work live.

This could include something you need to remove to get to the isolator to make the hood safe.

(( I have seen this on a double insulated "no earth required" cooker hood ))

There should be a means to isolate the supply that is easily accessable without the need to remove the chimney.
Agreed, and IMO this is what should be done in case of other appliances in the kitchen; if cannot easily access =no good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back