Power points in bathrooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice please Breezer (and all) :) - My better half wants to free up extra unit space in the kitchen, and assures me that she has seen many a washing machine/dryer in bathrooms. Now, I know it is highly illegal to put sockets in bathrooms, but what is the position as regards constructing a cupboard to take the appliances, and having power within the space. I know immersion heaters are often within bathroom cupboard space and are obviously electrically powered so clarification please?? She can be a pain, but I don't want to boil her in the bath :LOL:

Sponsored Links
'Fixed equipment' is allowed in bathrooms, provided such items have the relevant protection from ingress of water - IPX4 generally, which is protection against splashing from any direction. They should be protected by a 30mA RCD as well. If you enclose your appliances in a splashproof cupboard, connect them via fused connection units, protect them with a 30mA RCD and supplementary bond all the metalwork you should be fine.

Thanks Dingbat, I really appreciate that info and thx for your rapid response! cheers m8

Or if your bathroom is big enough, you could put the appliance in zone 3, where you wouldn't need a cupboard. But all the other rules would still apply.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Or if your bathroom is big enough, you could put the appliance in zone 3...

We used to dream of having a bathroom big enough to get a washing machine in Zone 3!

Use a Fused Connection Unit to connect to bathroom appliances - NEVER a socket. This is the only way allowed in the Regulations of BS7671:2001.

Thanks for all feedback chaps, you've cleared things up for me. You've lost me with zone 3, but I'm assuming it's an area which would be impossible to splash with water, in which case the room is NOT big enough! Cheers to all

Dingbat

One forgets that not everyone has a bathroom as big as One's own.......

No, not really! It's 8 x 8'.

But I've seen some houses (even some victorian terraces) with huge bathrooms because they used to be a bedroom.

It would be nice to have room to swing the cat.

securespark said:
Dingbat

No, not really! It's 8 x 8'.
That's huge !!!! Ours is 5'x8', even with knockin' the loo dividing wall out !!

Scoby

Still not big enough to get a washing machine in zone 3 and still move!!

may not have seen YOUR beer belly, but i have see the cats'

beer-gut.jpg

breezer, your a big b*gg*r, how you type so well with them furry gloves on I don't know

securespark said:
Dingbat

No, not really! It's 8 x 8'

Ok, I have to come clean (bathroom, geddit?) I can easily get a washing machine and dryer in MY zone 3, as my bathroom is 6' x 12'. But I'd never find room for that 'kin cat!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back