power shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i'm going to fit a power shower with a pump and mixer shower, i got a million questions tho!!
1st problem is i don't have a cold water tank but my hot water tank has a built in cold water tank, i was wondering if i could tap into that?
2nd thing is as the hot water tank has the cold water tank non top would i be able to fit the surrey flange thing which i belive goes in the top?
should of just got an electric shower!! :LOL:
hope someone can help
thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't think what you want to do will work...

there will be insufficent water in the fortic cylinder's 'header tank' to run a shower... 3 minutes and it will probably be empty!

You have 2 options:

1. Change your cylinder for one fed from a CWSC (Cold Water Storage Cistern)

or

2. Fit an electric cold mains shower, such as Mira Sport (I recommend the thermostatic version: far less temp fluctuation if other cold outlets in use)

Quite often, the water in the top of a combined cylinder isn't particularly cold, either.

thanks but i've already bought the shower, so i should fit a seperate cold water tank for the shower, i suppose the cheap 4 gallon one will be too small then?

Sponsored Links
ya plenty.

if you have a combination cylinder how do you intend on fitting a surrey flange ?
directindirect-combi.jpg

thats my question!!! is there a similar type of thing for these tanks or should i just use a t piece?

You need a new cold water cistern AND a new hot water cylinder. Cistern feeds cylinder and shower cold, cylinder supplies shower hot. Through a pump if you like.

If you are going for a power shower, even a 25 gallon cold water cistern is likely too small. 40 or 50 gallon would be more appropriate.

If you attempt to use your existing fortic, you are setting yourself up for failure.

these cylinders don't hold enough stored water in the top.

thats why mostt fit electric showers in flats etc where these cylinders are fitted.

what shower have you brought ?

I will say it again: you can't use this sort of cylinder with a pump, even if you fit an additional CWSC for the cold water to the shower:

the pump will empty the top filling header tank quicker than the mains will fill it.

Either change your cylinder £££££ or buy and electric shower £££

or just have baths!

your choice: don't pump from a fortic cylinder

its a gainsborough thermostic mixer shower. i dont really want to replace the tank as it is only a few months old!

its a gainsborough thermostic mixer shower. i dont really want to replace the tank as it is only a few months old!

Leakydave told you, you have two options: use an electric shower or upgrade your water supply.

Wishful thinking will not make it work :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back