Power to a security light

Spark, I used a fused connection unit because someone told me if I was connecting the flex from an appliance, in this case the light ( I'd already bought the flex as I was going to put a plug on the end), to a 'switch' it had to be through a fused connection unit. Is this not right? Could I have connected the T&E and flex through a normal switch?

Re the garage socket - the fused connection unit you refer to, is this the same as I have used for the light or is it a 'special' one? Is there one with several 'load' terminals? How many items can you have on the load side?

Appreciate the time you are spending in replying

Sponsored Links
You could have gone straight from the rose to the switch and from the switch to the light using T&E. No flex (though there's no harm in using flex) and no fused connection units. A security light is not an appliance; have you been speaking to your mate at Focus again... :?: :LOL: . You only need to fuse down if you're reducing the size of the cable. You would need to use a fused connection unit if you'd connected it to a power circuit, but not a lighting circuit because it's already fused correctly at the board (consumer unit).

The fused connection unit will be the same as you've used for the light; why don't you remove it from the light and put it where it is needed?. I'm not aware of one that has multiple load terminals, but one from a decent manufacturer should have lots of capacity. You can have as many as you can safely connect to the load side; the 13A fuse will blow before you damage anything. If you're pushed for space in the back-box or terminals, why not connect a junction box to the load side of the FCU and connect your load cables together in the JB? There are lots of ways that you could do it, that's just one example.

Thats what it was, connecting to the power circuit needs a fused connection unit. You read my mind, I was thinking I could use the FCU and replace it with a switch.

So, I will have the FCU in place of the socket with the T&E in the source side, from the load side I can have 3 x T&E (socket and the 2 conservatory spurs).

Thanks for your help Spark, you'd better get back to mending the baby and the new house, I did read that right didn't I :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back