Power to an Outside Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Although I am electrical qualified, I am so out of touch with modern regulations and want to check something.

I need to run power to an outside shed, to power a freezer and a light.

It's only temporary for a couple of years until the shed gets replaced, then I'll do it properly with armoured cable and a separate fuseboard etc.

However for now, can I run Hituf (2.5mm) cable from a 13A switched fused spur of an RCD protected ring main, clipped to a wooden structure which also runs from the house to the shed, approx 30 feet total run.

I would do armourd cable now, but the logistics of when the shed is replaced, makes it easier to do then.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
An installation must comply with the relavent standards and legislation, even if it is temporary.

In my experience, temporary is the new permanent.

You'll also need to notify the works and have it certified, on the same basis.

An installation must comply with the relavent standards and legislation, even if it is temporary. << Yes, aware of that!

In my experience, temporary is the new permanent. << Shed and surrounding concrete is being dug up in a couple of years, so easier to put in armoured cable then.

You'll also need to notify the works and have it certified, on the same basis. << Pfft! ;)

What are you asking? You can do all sorts but if you are asking what the regulations say then the main bit is Part P which in real terms means to DIY it costs an extra £100 plus vat and as a result if you what to comply with regulations it is just not worth doing DIY.

Ask yourself would you be allowed to wire something that way at work. Then consider at work you don't have children, dogs, cats and infirm people. So at home the quality needs to be higher than you do at work.

For price of SWA why would one use twin and earth that needs all sorts of extra protection including from sun light. Better to do with SWA from start then it can be re-used with new shed.

Sponsored Links
An installation must comply with the relavent standards and legislation, even if it is temporary. << Yes, aware of that!

In my experience, temporary is the new permanent. << Shed and surrounding concrete is being dug up in a couple of years, so easier to put in armoured cable then.

You'll also need to notify the works and have it certified, on the same basis. << Pfft! ;)
TTC did not write what you claim.

Please go away.

For price of SWA why would one use twin and earth that needs all sorts of extra protection including from sun light. Better to do with SWA from start then it can be re-used with new shed.

To be fair, the OP did suggest HiTuf, not 2.5mm T&E. If it's going to be clipped to a permanent wooden structure along its length and run where it's visible and unlikely to be hit with garden tools, it seems like the ideal application for HiTuf. Of course, SWA isn't really much difference in price - the only reason not to use it is in situations where it's either too bulky or you unable to gland, neither of which seem to apply here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back