Power to outside lamp post

I'm talking about the underground section, where SWA is being recommended as the only way.

The cable I mean does not need earthed steel protection when backed by a fuse up to 630A on a DNO network so it shouldn't need it in a domestic situation!!

Sponsored Links
I'm talking about the underground section, where SWA is being recommended as the only way.
Oh, I see - apologies for misunderstanding.
The cable I mean does not need earthed steel protection when backed by a fuse up to 630A on a DNO network so it shouldn't need it in a domestic situation!!
Fair enough, but you're biased :) It could conversely be said that if it needs earthed steel protection when used in a domestic situation (protected by an OPD much smaller than 630A) it should also need it in a DNO network!

More seriously, though, I have to agree that it is a little strange that regulations and practices differ significantly in different parts of the industry - after all, they're all dealing with the same electricity!

Kind Regards, John

I guess this has moved on to more advanced discussion :D but intrigued as to which cable you refer to but ultimately I guess I don't need to know.

I guess this has moved on to more advanced discussion :D but intrigued as to which cable you refer to but ultimately I guess I don't need to know.
More a matter of an ongoing skirmish (between two branches of the industry) :) .... but, no, it's really of no concern to you - since SWA is really the answer you need to be given! As westie said in the first part of his post, almost any cable in buried earthed galvanised conduit would theoretically be OK - but that's likely to more hassle (and quite possibly more costly) than just using SWA.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
But as you have pointed out more than once, your cables etc are not within the scope of BS 7671.

More a matter of an ongoing skirmish (between two branches of the industry) :) .... but, no, it's really of no concern to you - since SWA is really the answer you need to be given!
1) I freely admit that right now ICBA to look for the answer to (2) myself.

2) It's no longer allowed in walls & partitions as exempt from RCD requirements, but is split concentric allowed to be directly buried?

2) It's no longer allowed in walls & partitions as exempt from RCD requirements, but is split concentric allowed to be directly buried?
Even if it were, it's probably moot, since I think a DIYer (or anyone else, come to that) would struggle to find a source of cut lengths of split-con (the OP's lamp post is only ~3m from house) - and I suspect that it wouldn't be appreciably, if at all, cheaper than SWA, anyway.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back