Power to Shed / Summerhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been done to death I know, but I'm still not clear on cable type. I want to power up to my summerhouse to run a table lamp, computer and low voltage lights so nothing major. Summerhouse is 15m from house. I can feed this via a spur and put an FCU in the shed. The cable doesn't need to be buried so can I use Arctic cable run along the ground, or even pond cable?

Sponsored Links
Been done to death I know, but I'm still not clear on cable type. I want to power up to my summerhouse to run a table lamp, computer and low voltage lights so nothing major.
It still needs to be done properly, and it's notifiable.

Summerhouse is 15m from house. I can feed this via a spur and put an FCU in the shed.
So no protection at the source? What size cable did you plan to use? If there was a fault at the summerhouse end would the protective device back in the CU operate quickly enough?

The cable doesn't need to be buried
What makes you think that?

so can I use Arctic cable run along the ground, or even pond cable?
No and no.

Sponsored Links
The cable doesn't need to be buried so can I use Arctic cable run along the ground, or even pond cable?

If its flex then you'll have to enclose it in conduit.
Do the sensible thing & do it properly by using swa or conduit.
It's notifiable work anyway so should be registered with LBC.

How many elv lights are you wanting to run?

Get an electrician round with a view to running a dedicated submain to the summer house , to supply a small cu to run the circuits you require.

being pedantic it doesnt have to be burried. how on earth could you bury a cable suspended on a catenary wire? :LOL:

billau, as you so rightly sid thatits been done to death, you musth ave searched. if you read all the posts they already answer your questions, since you rightly said, its been done to death

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back