Power tools from the States

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can they be converted or adapted to run on UK current?

I am looking at a power tool that operates on 130volts and wondered if it would work with a 110v transformer or is this just a no no?

Can anyone help or would this be best posted in the electric forum?

Sponsored Links
110V USA is totally different to our 110V through a transformer, its the frequency that is different. I wouldn't plug that in here!

110V USA is totally different to our 110V through a transformer, its the frequency that is different. I wouldn't plug that in here!
Volts are volts in any country, frequencys vary.
The Americans use 60hz we use 50hz, plugging in an American power tool here in the UK, it should work, but not as fast.

Wotan

I bought a battery charger from the US and it works just fine on a 110V tranny supply.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, apparently the machine operates on 120V not 130V as I thought but as wotan says it does use 60hz.

Someone mentioned using an "inverter" - not sure what this is or if it would be the answer. I don't know if any of you guys have an opinion on this?

With a motor tool like a drill the frequency does matter.

The whole motor system works on alternative charge and discharge of a metal core which has to receive a polarity and then release it to receive the opposite polarity in the case of 50hz (or cycles) 50 times a second. In the case of 60hz 60 times a second.

The design of magnetics fo such purposes depends on the power consumption and the frequency (50 or 60 in our example)

Larger core is needed for slower frequency and also larger core for more power.

In the case of using a drill designed for 60hz on a 50hz supply the core would be undersized, so it may saturate overheat become underpowered and in the worst case scenario burn out.

Modern electronics are usually powered by a switch mode power supply running at m,uch higher frequencies generated inside the unit, so the battery charger mentioned would not suffer, as it falls into this category.

the idea of using an inverter is a good idea but so costlay you may as well buy tools designed for 50hz.

It is alright to use magnetics which were designed for a given frequency on a higher frequency (within reason, as the VHF and UHF magnetics are designed entirely differently when capacitance comes into play) but not on a lower frequency. This is because at low frequencies the core material is significant frequency is very important when selecting the core.

So this means you can use UK power tools in the usa with appropriate adjustment of voltage.

other points to note

you may get clobberd for import duty
voltage/hertz not compatable so may be underpowered ineficiant or in extreme conditions as said above dangerous
although the tools may look the same the internals may be slightly different so spares hard to get
the g/tee may not be valid
tools are not c/e marked

Thanks for all your replies, very helpful. Guess I'll have to see if they decide to make a UK version. :)

ive imported cordless drills with chargers. import duty was minimal and just bought an inmvertor (think thats what its called) for the charger to run through. mind you that was about 3 years ago when the exchange rate was good

I'm still waiting on my worm drive saw from the States and expect to get battered by imprt duties, but as the thing is impossible to buy here and i like it so much.. i'll take the hit. Workability-wise.. i did post here for feedback on its' likely operability.. but have seen a chippy with one of these as his main saw and he'd been using it fine for years.. so fingers crossed!

I'm still waiting on my worm drive saw from the States and expect to get battered by imprt duties, but as the thing is impossible to buy here and i like it so much.. i'll take the hit. Workability-wise.. i did post here for feedback on its' likely operability.. but have seen a chippy with one of these as his main saw and he'd been using it fine for years.. so fingers crossed!

may be a health and safety issue as they dont have wriving knifes!!!

Thanks for all your replies, very helpful. Guess I'll have to see if they decide to make a UK version. :)
what is the actual tool you are looking for you somtimes see them on e bay!!
and as i say above some tools may be restricted because off h&s requirements

Oh well.. i'd say in the last 4 or 5 years shuttering.. 80% of the circ saw's i've used have had the riving knive removed for ease of use as they either get bent and catch on the work or come loose and grind on the blade.

Oh well.. i'd say in the last 4 or 5 years shuttering.. 80% of the circ saw's i've used have had the riving knive removed for ease of use as they either get bent and catch on the work or come loose and grind on the blade.

i dont know if thats the reason its just a reasonably well informed guess ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back