Powerflush or change radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating system has a couple of radiators that are constantly cold and a couple that are cold at the base but hotter at the top. I believe from past posts that my system will have sludge. As the system is now 14 years old the majority of the radiators are rusting around the bleeding area.
Would i be easier just changing the radiators to alleviate the sludge problem rather than powerflushing ?

Sponsored Links
you still need to clean the system of sludge not just the rads or you'll be back where you started rusty rads.
flush the system with a cleaner.

Sponsored Links
Remove radiators and flush through with a hose. If the look bad or are rusted replace them if you like.

Put some ferroquest X800 in system (follow instructions on label) This will clean the pipes a bit.

Cold radiators are usually caused by blocked pipes or sticking trv's. Ferroquest might not shift a blockage. Sticking trv's usually free if you remove the head and move the pin about with a pair of pliars.

This will not cure the under lying problem of bad system design. See a good plumber / heating eng. and take their advise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back