powerful drain unblocking tool?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, does anyone have or know a good reliable, quality drain unblocking tool, one that shifts blockages using power even? ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If a pan wont clear using a plunger then either there is something solid down there that needs to be got out before it causes problems downstream or the problem may lie elsewhere.....

Paper and human waste should shift using a plunger, rim blocks and toys wedged in the bend may not..... Possibly time to don the rubber gauntlets and/or remove the pan. :cry:

it happens quite regularly, I think people put too much paper down it, but I have only got a cheapy plumnger that doesn't work well at all. Any decent plungers that you could recommend please? Power ones, I don't mind paying a decent price for a good quality one

Single rod with 4" rubber disc on the end should be ample, get too violent with that and you risk cracking the pan. If that wont clear it or the problem is frequent then may be worth looking at the drainage from the pan, the problem could be elsewhere. Depending on type of pan there's not much space in the outlet for any blockage of substance to build up..... Once the waste is round the bend in the pan then it should escape into the drain and away.

Where is the pan in question, and what are the drainage arrangements?

upstairs bathroom, p shaped outlet that goes into a soil stack. the basin and bath waste go into a gulley via the hopper

Syphonic pan (should) when working properly, 'suck' the contents of the pan out. Flush is virtually silent in operation. Washdowns rely on the force of the flush to wash the contents of the pan round the bend and away.

The Doulton syphonic pans could block for a pastime, if too much paper was used. Doulton pan here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt7NdwHuvOo

Grim I know, but have you taken the pan out to check the outlet? TBH the only real pinch point in a normal pan is right at the bottom where the waste goes round before coming back up and out. Any block of waste and paper should clear with a reasonable shove or 2 with a plunger. Especially as upstairs, once it gets out the pan gravity plays a big part! :LOL:

The mention of power tools leads me to think the problem may be elsewhere, any blockage that stubborn has to be more than sh1t and tissue...... If the basin and bath are still into a hopper i'd assume the stack for the WC is still cast iron. The iron stacks though sometimes had a lead section fitted between the pan and junction into the stack. Appreciate you wont be able to see the section through the wall but does it appear squashed anywhere, enough to cause a restriction? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back