Powering a Nest Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m looking to purchase a smart thermostat and looking at the nest or hive. I think I may be swaying towards the nest due to its learning capabilities but I don’t like the idea of having to plug it in. I don’t have a wired thermostat that I can replace and I don’t want to use it with a stand either. I’d like it to sit on the living room wall.

If I was to locate this next to an already existing light switch is it possible at all to feed off the existing wires for the switch to power the nest thermostat, make a small channel in the wall and therefore have no visible wires?

Sponsored Links
Probably not.

The Nest Thermostat is powered by 12 volts by repurposing wires to the existing thermostat and connecting them via the Heat Link unit (which is also a 12 volt power supply), or by a plug-in USB power supply. The Nest Thermostat cannot be connected directly to mains voltage.

Also many light switches only have a live and switched live wire, no neutral, so you would not be able to take power from them anyway.

You could mount the Next Thermostat near a convenient 13 amp power socket and use D-line microtrunking up the wall to the 'stat.

The alternative is to run new 12 volt (bell wire) from the Heat Unit to the Thermostat location.

http://www.directheatingsupplies.co.uk/pdfs/Nest Thermostat Installation Guide UK.pdf

Edited to reduce confusion over low voltage / 12 volts and USB

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Neutral is the name of the conductor which completes the circuit from the load back to the electrical source.
It is not a generic name for any black (or blue now) wire.
Wires can be anything we want; they do not know what colour they are. (y)

240V is Low voltage.
<50V is Extra-low voltage.

Ok, so now you mention it only requires 12v, based on my experience of installing my own outdoor low-voltage lighting system, an alternative could be to use a transformer that sits behind the sofa out of sight and i could then bury the low voltage cables in the wall

I know, but calling mains low-voltage confuses people, especially when the instruction book says low-voltage for 12V.
I know you know but perpetuating a mistake will not help and is equally confusing when you say it.

Just call it 12V or 24V and 240V.

I see the OP hasn't taken any notice.

Sorry, i get you now. So its not 12v. But along the same principle. I'm thinking of using the included plug and wire, run behind the sofa and just extending the wires by adding more to the ends so that i can channel it into the wall?

What wire would i need?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back