powering nest thermostat from heating wiring help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ive kind of successfully installed my nest learning thermostat in place of the old honeywell programmer and thermostat however, i wanted to use the existing wiring from the old thermostat to power the nest thermostat. To do this ive fitted a mains socket next to the juction box upstairs in the airing cupboard and used a 12v transformer to power the nest . ive tapped the power off what i thought was a permanent live in the juction box but it seems to turn off only when the hot water is turned on thus turning my thermostat off.

Is there a way for me to get a permanent live to this socket, when the heating is on theres like 4 lives, could i jump the live from another

Attched is a photo of my juction box showing where ive tapped the into the live which is turning off. i belive this is a y type system.

thanks

Attachments

• junction.jpg
    junction.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 90
Sponsored Links
Why didn't you just join the existing thermostat wires into the Nest power supply in the Heat Link? Saves a lot of fannying around with sockets and transformers

because the heatlink is down stairs and the thermostat wires ended up stairs

Not sure I follow. I always wire the Heat Link into the wiring centre when I'm installing Nest. Have you put it somewhere else?

Sponsored Links
i replaced the programmer with the heatlink which is next to the boiler in the kitchen, and the watertank and stuff is upstairs, the old thermostat wires end up stairs too.

That's where you've gone wrong and why you're now struggling then. Heat Link should go in the airing cupboard upstairs. Move it up there and all will be well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back