Powering through a switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi every1

i have a quick question. i'm working with an electrician part time. he is away on holiday at the moment. i have decided to take this time out to replace my light switches. i have unearthed quite a few problems such as 10 lights working on one circuit (it is in the remit of voltage/amps etc, but i'm unhappy with it, will change them later) the real problem i have is that i have a wire (1.5mmT&E) coming into my switch in the utility room from a junction box off the lighting downstairs) this is the power cable, i have another cable from the switch to the light, it hasn't worked for a while but i haven't come across it in my little experience, can anyone shed any light TIA

Sponsored Links
crazyk69 said:
i have unearthed quite a few problems such as 10 lights working on one circuit (it is in the remit of voltage/amps etc, but i'm unhappy with it, will change them later)
If it's OK from a load POV (and 10 lights at an assumed 100W each is well within the limit for a 6A lighting circuit) why are you unhappy with it?

the real problem i have is that i have a wire (1.5mmT&E) coming into my switch in the utility room from a junction box off the lighting downstairs) this is the power cable,
All T&E cables are power cables - that is what they are for - not sure what you're getting at...

i have another cable from the switch to the light, it hasn't worked for a while
What hasn't worked for a while? - the switch, the cable, the light...?

but i haven't come across it in my little experience, can anyone shed any light TIA
OOI, on what basis are you working with an electrician part time?

Nothing wrong with 10 lights off one circuit, 10X100w = 1000w divide by voltage will give you a max current of a little over 4amps I assume this is on a 6A MCB.
Historically 1.0mm was used for lighting, most now install 1.5mm as its future proof.

ban-all-sheds said:
crazyk69 said:
i have unearthed quite a few problems such as 10 lights working on one circuit (it is in the remit of voltage/amps etc, but i'm unhappy with it, will change them later)
If it's OK from a load POV (and 10 lights at an assumed 100W each is well within the limit for a 6A lighting circuit) why are you unhappy with it?

I'm not that unhappy with it but with the extra lights i want to add i need to re-arrange some of the lighting, i have no central light in the living room but 6 wall lights and two fluorescent window lights, :eek: pretty horrid really.

the real problem i have is that i have a wire (1.5mmT&E) coming into my switch in the utility room from a junction box off the lighting downstairs) this is the power cable,
All T&E cables are power cables - that is what they are for - not sure what you're getting at...

the power cable normally goes to the rose or junction box then a cable comes to the switch to interrupt the syupply, it doesn't it comes straight to the switch and then another cable goes to the light to supply power for it, a little back to front i think. :confused:

the light has been out for a while, room was unused until we moved in=, but i have been renovating the room so have had no ceiling etc, so no light needed.:cool:
but i haven't come across it in my little experience, can anyone shed any light TIA

OOI, on what basis are you working with an electrician part time?

i'm in the Army and want to work in electrics when i come out so when i get home and have time i do a little work with an electrician.

Sponsored Links
Qedelec said:
Historically 1.0mm was used for lighting, most now install 1.5mm as its future proof.

Most sparks I know use 1.0mm on an average house

crazyk69 said:
i'm in the Army and want to work in electrics when i come out so when i get home and have time i do a little work with an electrician.
OK. What formal training & qualifications do you plan to undertake?

crazyk69 said:

ban-all-sheds said:
crazyk69 said:
OK. What formal training & qualifications do you plan to undertake?

i'm taking 16th edition, hoping to do c+g 236, PAT, just after advice

crazyk69 said:

the power cable normally goes to the rose or junction box then a cable comes to the switch to interrupt the syupply, it doesn't it comes straight to the switch and then another cable goes to the light to supply power for it, a little back to front i think.

crazyk69 said:
the power cable normally goes to the rose or junction box then a cable comes to the switch to interrupt the syupply,
Yup - carrying power...

it doesn't it comes straight to the switch and then another cable goes to the light to supply power for it, a little back to front i think.
So with a "normal" switch cable with one core taking power to the switch and the other taking it to the light, how would you describe what's going on?

And anyway - it's increasingly common to loop at the switches, and it makes the fitting of 3-terminal luminaires in place of traditional ceiling roses much easier...

crazyk69 said:

Hiya Crazyk69, my fellow Lancastrian, as BAS says (about 5 times I think - why is everything repeating itself here....here....here???), there's nowt wrong with the wiring of your switch it's just another way of doing it.
Have you got an approved voltage tester? If you have and are comfortable doing it, with the switch in the on position test the light fitting at it's terminals to see if power is getting through. Not taking the p*** or owt, but you have tried changing the bulb, haven't you?

ukants said:
Hiya Crazyk69, my fellow Lancastrian, as BAS says (about 5 times I think - why is everything repeating itself here....here....here???), there's nowt wrong with the wiring of your switch it's just another way of doing it.
Have you got an approved voltage tester? If you have and are comfortable doing it, with the switch in the on position test the light fitting at it's terminals to see if power is getting through. Not taking the p*** or owt, but you have tried changing the bulb, haven't you?

no offence taken :D yes i have changed the bulb :( , haven't looked at the light until recently, thought it was a funny way to wire it up, just want to make sure it is safe and legal. how should the wires be connected to the switch b4 i prod about as i haven't seen this b4.

Not being funny, but if you've got the ability to become an electrician then you really ought to be able to work out how to wire a switch in this way...

If you go to the reference thread at the top of the thread title page you will find some diagrams that may be of use. There's one of loop-in method via the switch about two thirds of the way down page 4. Hope this helps :D

ukants said:
If you go to the reference thread at the top of the thread title page you will find some diagrams that may be of use. There's one of loop-in method via the switch about two thirds of the way down page 4. Hope this helps :D

Thanks 4 your help ukants, managed to suss it after i found time to look at it. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back