Powering Washer & Dryer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently renovating our kitchen and have moved the washer & dryer and I now need to sort out a power supply. Initially I was going to run a spur to behind both appliances but have found that the nearest (single), socket is already a spur and that the next nearest (also a single), provides that spur.
What I'm thinking of doing now, is changing the spur to a triple socket and extending the cables and running them behind our new kitchen units to plug directly in to the existing spur.
Is this safe to do and is there anything else I should take in to consideration ?

Thanks, Robbo

p.s. yes . . . yes . . . I know I'm a numpty for not doing my homework before moving stuff around!

Sponsored Links
I am currently renovating our kitchen and have moved the washer & dryer and I now need to sort out a power supply. Initially I was going to run a spur to behind both appliances but have found that the nearest (single), socket is already a spur and that the next nearest (also a single), provides that spur.
What I'm thinking of doing now, is changing the spur to a triple socket and extending the cables and running them behind our new kitchen units to plug directly in to the existing spur.
Is this safe to do and is there anything else I should take in to consideration ?

Thanks, Robbo

p.s. yes . . . yes . . . I know I'm a numpty for not doing my homework before moving stuff around!

Provided the spur is less than (2 metres???) from the final ring main socket you could change the spur into a FCU and run additonal sockets from that.

However adding sockets to an existing circuit in the kitchen requires notification under Part P.

Your proposal to fit a triple and extending the cables from your machines is feasible but it may invalidate any warranty and could contravene the manufacturers instructions. There could also be an issue with the load being drawn if both machines are on together.

MK triple sockets have a 13 amp fuse to limit load- so that's no good.

Adding a spur on a spur is a no no- so that's no good.

Unfortunately you will need to revamp the ring extend and add to it, while your at it do away with the spur that exists at the moment.

You know that a twin socket will potentially draw 13 amp x 2 or 26 amps, and that both the drier and the washer (more so if it heats the water) will eat a good lump of juice- so it's worth while doing correctly.

I'd also suggest you consider running in above counter isolation (20a switches, grid or standard type) so that should you need to turn the items off you are not having to pull the appliances out to remove a plug.

My sig applies to kitchen areas :cry:

Provided the spur is less than (2 metres???) from the final ring main socket you could change the spur into a FCU and run additonal sockets from that.
I don't think that there is a limit of 2m on a spur. :?:

Robbo63, a spur is not the best design for the reasons already highlighted by Chri5. You would be limited to 13A and for a washer & dryer that would probably not be enough. Ideally you would want to incorporate the supply into the ring final circuit by extending it through new sockets for the washer & dryer.

Have a look here for more info on electrical work in kitchens. It probably won't make for happy reading though. :(

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the advice. After much consideration and considering building regs I've decided to get someone in. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back