Powermax 140 - Heating Water but not Rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a three year old house with a Powermax 140. Always been smooth and worked well until now....

The water and heating are set to come on together twice a day, but neither is working now. The water can be heated up but only if I put the water to the 'constant' position and the rads all stay cold.

Have turned the thermostat up in the hallway and the control panel on the Powermax all seems to be ok (as in no lock out light). It also reports that the HW and CH are both on (by two little red LEDs). Is this a simple job I can get to the bottom of or do I need a plumber? Is there a way of resetting it just in case there's an error on the timer?

ALSO, I reckon the two red lights are dimmer than usual too.... unless I'm imagining it?!

Thanks for any advice....

Simon

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a pretty typical timer failure, they are expensive and totally useless.

You were right. Timer was replaced by a powermax engineer after my normal plumber couldn't sort it. Cost me a fortune and am not happy, although am happy with having heating now! The engineer simply looked at it and almost went straight back to his van to get a new clock.

Now, however when the heating starts first thing theres a sort of pause, some creaking and then a loud bang... as though somethings stuck and pressure builds up... then it frees itself... I suppose its something else about to fail?!

It could be noisy ignition if its when the flame first lights.

If it is then we would suggest that it needs to be checked as it could have safety issues.

If you are not sure if its the ignition then try listening at the flue termination ( but not too close! )

If the "Powermax" engineer was from Baxi-Potterton then they usually include any subsequent faults for some time afterwards.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Yeh the engineer was from there. Included in the price I have a years service included for further maintenance if needed. If it persists for a while longer then I'll call them back out... since I'm paying for it!

I will have a hunt around tomorrow morning when it does it... but I have this 'feeling' it sounds like something's stuck.... builds up pressure as I can here some creaking and then the 'bang' is like something released... then something starts spinning... the pump I assume?

Probably electrodes need resetting, get Heateam back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back