Powermax 155 Boiler Problem - Lights are on but won't work !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After having boiler serviced last Sept 09-I have had countless problems with this dam unit !

Amazing I didnt service it for 3 years no problems and now its constant !

My latest problem is that my boiler wont start.

The lights are on the timer, the pipes in the boiler are very hot as they should be, but the unit wont click in to start...
Its also making a noise like it wants to work .. but it just cant seem to fire up.
Currently I have no hot water or heating... any help greatfully appreciated.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sorry 155.
The CH pump is making a small noise hard to describe but like there is a small air leak or maybe when a innertube has a puncture and its in water.

didn't you drain this the other day and have difficulties getting to relight. Just a thought but I think this may be more relevant than the service in september.

Sponsored Links
Yeah I drained it the other day but its been fine since the weekend.
All I did was as you said pressed the manual restart and it worked fine.

Are you saying vent the CH pump ?
How would I do that ?

My water is very hot so its just the heating that isnt working.

Opened the screw of the CH pump some water came out but still nothing working.........

I am with rojaca on this.....i suggest you are air locked. The drain down has caused the system to 'block'.....if your hot water is fine it almost certainly isn't a boiler issue if it worked before drainown

Was the CH pump shaft pump rotating when you removed the big screw?

See FAQ on this site for testing pumps!

Tony

I am definitely getting hot water, this morning the boiler fired up like it would do normally.

But the radiators are not getting hot at all.

I released the screw on the CH pump and I got a trickle of hot water coming out..
What is the white cap on top of the CH pump ? Does this control the speed of the pump ?

Do you think I may have a massive airlock somewhere ?
Should I drain down the system again ?
Or maybe remove the CH pump and see if it is blocked with crud from the previous drain off ?

Was the CH pump shaft pump rotating when you removed the big screw?

See FAQ on this site for testing pumps!

Tony

Water is working fine so won't pump be ok?.

Why do you think the CH pump would be OK just because the DHW is OK ?

The OP has failed to do the simple check that I advised and is repeated above in the quotation.

Until I have an answer to that question I cannot make any further comments. Diagnosing faults requires a logical series of tests to be performed and evaluated.

Tony

Tony,

Thanks for your help.

I will do the pump test as soon as I home, I have now found the FAQ's on this section.

Cheers again !

Right,

I removed the CH pump cleaned it all up put it back, and then put the speed up to 3.
This seems to have done the trick and I now have heating again...

Hopefully this is the end of my troubles,

Thanks for everyones help on this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back