Powermax 155

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into newish house, have a Powermax 155. It wont light the burner and keeps locking out. I have tried most of the yellow pages to get a plumber to come and look at it, those that i have spoken to will not touch it with a barge pole. So 2 questions, is the boiler really that bad that i should think about ripping it out and starting again? and can i open up the boiler and have a go at fixing it myself. One plumber mentioned that it may be a drop in pressure that can be rectified by fiddling with a black \\\"hose type\\\" thing at the bottom of the unit - advisable or not?

Sponsored Links
could be something simple.not many people will bother thrm selves with powermax {range} repairs.ask previous house owner for person who carriwd out last service.or repair company used.sorry not much helpful info.potterton took over and may give help on their tech phone line or see web.good luck.have you fullu unpacked.?

try corgi web site http://www.corgi-gas.co.uk/ to find engineer

Have worked on this boiler before and they are reasonable, the black thing is the filling loop, should be pressure gauge on powermax this should be 1_1.5 bar this job requires corgi engineer my firm covers north herts, beds, north bucks

Sponsored Links
I had the same problem with the locking out and failing to light my problem was caused by the ignition plug (like a spark plug) this had been incorrectly fitted from new. I had to get a Baxi engineer out but was under warranty then.This will not be your last problem i am afraid, you will have more to come these boilers are rubbish but any probs with your boiler will have to be done by a corgi.

My boiler was fine until it was serviced, it had been in 3 years from new without a service and working fine. It appears if you disturb the electrode or cable, the slightest of damage (they a fragile do to the heat) means its possible the boiler will the play up. EG go onto lock out

The turbulators burn out on the top tang which then means they drop down the tubes, not much of a problem, but a design fault that powermax will not own up to.

As for the gas valve, they have sent out a sheet about maintenance of these, basically I think they are have problems, anyhow it lists inlet rates 155 18.0 to 20.0 155x 19.0 to 21.0 CO2 8.8 to 9.6
If the figures are outside the range replace gas valve.

As the valves come factory set from, I ask why suddenly do they issue this sheet asking you to pay particular attention to the gas valve.

I would guest they were not or a big pecentage were not correct from new.

As for trying to get help from the techincal line, forget it, you spend hours waiting for them to answer the phone.

Poor boiler, poor service, lose custom.

Dill said:
As the valves come factory set from, I ask why suddenly do they issue this sheet asking you to pay particular attention to the gas valve.

It's because some one recently died from a co incident attributed to an ircorrectly set gas valve, the new valves are a different make.

Turbulators aren't a problem when they corrode at the top, but they sure are when 6" at the bottom falls off.

molly1 said:
Moved into newish house, have a Powermax 155. It wont light the burner and keeps locking out.

There's a couple of overheat manual reset thermostats on them, but the reset button isn't obvious and you need to get to the PCB to reset them. I had one that was locking out and it was only the pump serving the HW heat exchanger that had stalled. Freed the impeller, no problems since. Check the pump(s) are working. If you remove the chrome screw on the front of the pump, check the impeller spins freely and that it rotates when on.

onetap the original post is 18 months old, was just replying with a general point on powermaxes as someone had dragged it back up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back