PRC Certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
After searching on Google I found a post on this forum about PRC Certificates (missing ones!) I can't find the post so here's the story.
I purchased an ex-council Wates construction property 5 years ago, and spent a lot of cash renovating the interior. I put it on the market 2 years ago and got a buyer immediately. It fell through... 3 times!

The reason was that I have no PRC certificate. I have a letter from my local council saying that my property was repaired above PRC standards in 1996. Still no go with the buyers lenders.

I have checked out PRCproperties.co.uk and landmarkprc.co.uk, both say great things on their websites, but want to charge approx £44,000 to issue the cert, (and do the work), as they think (but have not seen) that the council have just give the house a facelift without actually carrying out PRC repair. My question is this:

1. Is there anyone here that can issue a PRC Cert and would be willing to take a look at my property? Happy to pay for time to do so.

2. Is there anyone here facing the same issues as me?

Sponsored Links
A PRC certificate should only cost you around 3500 at most.. a complete PRC repair should be around 38000 to 44000.

I would phone them back and ask for retrospective prc certificate... something isn't right there and a complete repair is not nessessary if only a new certificate is needed.

If you have a mortgage you should have a repair certificate somewhere - Wates prc houses are designated defective so you wouldn't have got a mortgage without one.

If you paid cash then I would try your solicitor - if they allowed the purchase to proceed without a repair certificate I would say that amounts to negligence.

If all else fails you have as much chance as an aussie batsman on a 'specially' prepared wicket. I have done repair certificates in the past but all those were on the back of monitoring of works carried out under a full design and specification. To do one post works would mean a great deal of opening up of structural elements and a significant premium for the increased risk.

hi there,
im thinking of buying a prc house that needs repairing. if i get my family members to do it ( all qualified builders) will it be a case of needing to hire a structural engineer to come out during construction so he can take notes then issue the cert at the end if its up to standard, is this how it works? and does that cost the £3500 roughly?

if i have to pay 40k to get it repaired and certified i wont bother!

thanks in advance for any info :D

Sponsored Links
Any updates, Casa, 2 years on, what happened please, have put in an offer for a nice home but have found out it is a wates building of concrete with the brick wrap around it.

Any updates, Casa, 2 years on, what happened please, have put in an offer for a nice home but have found out it is a wates building of concrete with the brick wrap around it.
Hi D, been reading this thread, et.al.
My daughter has one of these houses, bought off the council, approx, 2004 for £32k, and no cert, because no work was done or even mentioned, she was renting it first on her own.
Her partner, a conman, moved in,remortgaged it, for a further £32k, to speculate in spain, then, remortgaged again with Santander 2006 for another £46k, bringing total mortgage(interest only) to £113k.
As they are now splitting,the house has been on the market 18 months, 2 definite buyers , but, cannot obtain a mortgage, no PRC cert, the last one only last week;who still want it, but cannot get a mortgage.
He thinks he has a claim for negligence against Santander, but, I think not, BUT,how did the Bank issue 3 mortgages on a non certificated property.?
I say he borrowed the last £46k to obtain a cert, but he says no, but, everything he does is hookie.
This leaves my daughter in a house she cannot sell, no endowment policy, and 18 years to run, and not able or wanting to spend £40k to skin it, he,s left.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Joe, who's name(s) are on the mortgage and house deeds? If both then she needs to be very careful he doesn't turn up in years to come and try to claim his half back. Any other agreements in place regarding ownership - Trust Deed etc?

Sorry, I know it will cost money but it sounds like she needs proper legal help rather than spurious advice on an internet forum to be honest. Hope she gets it sorted but I think it will take time and some money.

Joe, who's name(s) are on the mortgage and house deeds? If both then she needs to be very careful he doesn't turn up in years to come and try to claim his half back. Any other agreements in place regarding ownership - Trust Deed etc?

Sorry, I know it will cost money but it sounds like she needs proper legal help rather than spurious advice on an internet forum to be honest. Hope she gets it sorted but I think it will take time and some money.
Hi kbdiy, thanks for reply.
Both names on the mortgage,NOW, since last £46k remortgage, but he,s only just moved out.
Daughter has taken legal advice,, but knew nothing about the PRC stopping the sale till this week when estate agents told her the buyers couldn,t get a mortgage.
That,s when her OH decided he was going to claim Santander were neglegent giving a re-mortgage for £46k without mentioning a cert.
He,s a shyster;;;putting it mildly.
BUT, he,s manipulating her , always has.
I told them when they first bought it at £32k, if skinned then, it was a good buy, but, he used it as a milch cow for property in spain, which also has gone belly up;
I couldnt believe Santander would give 3 mortgages on a prc house with no cert, and never been done, but, they did.
That,s his claim, but he, accepted the money, and didn,t skin it.
i,m surprised 2 estate agents took it on without a prc cert, but they did also, and got a buyer.
I think she is stuck with it;;;
Just thought this might be a warning to those offered a house of this type to buy from council.et.al
It,s a good house, 3 bed semi, and estate agents valued it at £147k, ;;;;;;?they accepted £130k from last buyer, but, not to be.
He just walks away from everything.cheers mate.

Hi Everyone now sure if anyone that previously replied will read this but I'm willing to try. joesoap1 its been many years since you posted but what was the outcome as I have a similar situation. Bought a house with my ex about 4 years ago and we have split for about 2 and a half and since then been trying to sell the house and having the same issue. Santander is the bank that gave us the mortgage and we have tried complaining but they some how shut the complaint down with no resolve. We are uncertain who made the mistake if it was the bank or our solicitors that didn't warn us near the key delivery day. They Delayed it due to a missing document which we didn't know at the time was the PRC Certificate but then approved it with a " WALLS AND FOUNDATION SURVEY" done 11 years ago. Any info on your question from years ago would be great or anyone else that has been through this and has info would help.
I was taking this to a solicitor just before the Corona Virus but now all is at a stop. Solicitors are gonna cost around 1500£ just to read the emails between us and them and that doesn't guarantee a positive fight for miss sold property. Any info would be great as we are approaching a 6 year time scale to which ive heard we wont be able to complain about this anymore. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back