Pre-cast flue .. or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_1114.JPG
Hello, not sure if this should be in this section or building. We had our old gas fire removed so we could see what was behind and what options we had for a new fire (ideally something inside the hole with no hearth). When the gas engineer removed the fire he said that it was pre-cast flue and we would be limited with our options. Whilst researching the options (and what a pre cast flue actually was) I noticed that we shouldn't have a chimney - which we do. Also there used to be a back boiler. When I pointed this out to the engineer he thinks that maybe it's not a pre-cast flue after all and it's just been built up like one. I'm not sure what do next as I don't want to start removing the bricks if it is pre-cast. Any advice welcomed.

Sponsored Links
What does the actual chimney look like from below?
Catchment space doesnt look like a precast.

IMG_1115.JPG
Thanks for you reply, do you mean below from outside?
The dimensions of the space are 380mm wide, 580mm high and 445mm deep. The flue is 5"

I meant from inside looking up the chimney but if its 5" round no matter it isnt a precast chimney. Precast chimneys look like your looking up the inside of a load of oblong breeze blocks only the are narrower. Roughly 185cm wide by 90cm deep depending on age

Sponsored Links
IMG_1117.JPG
Sorry about that, does this help... The ducting goes straight up about a foot then curves backwards.

IMG_1121.JPG
No, it's not poured concrete. About 15 years ago (before I came on the scene) my wife had an old gas fire and back boiler removed and a combi boiler installed. She seems to recall seeing a bigger opening but doesn't remember anything being built up to accommodate the new fire. However around the opening is very rough plastering and there is no outlet in the space for any pipes (entry point seen on the photo) and also the plumber removed a back boiler somehow. Is it looking like this isn't a pre-cast flue and it's just been built up to accommodate the fitted fire?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back