Precast flue/chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a semi detached house that was built in 1974 that has what I believe to be a precast flue,

This also has a chimney breast that is around 120mm deep so about a brick width

It is around 1700mm wide in the living room and runs up through the master bedroom where it is 700mm wide then halfway up in to the loft space where the flue connects to a metal flue pip then to a ridge tile.

I am wondering about removing this flue and breast to leave a flat wall

does anyone know if this would be possible without too much work and would it cause any implications with/for my neighbour? apart from the noise when removing!

Any info most appreciated

Sponsored Links
I’m in the same situation, my chimney breast isn’t as deep though, only about 90mm.

Rather than use a stud wall to make the wall flush I would like to remove the chimney breast and fill the precast flue with insulation.

Any advise on if this is possible would be great

I had a builder in who was giving me a quote to re plaster so I asked him about it

His reply was with all the man hours and work that would go in to it and the skip hire etc etc it would be a lot of money to gain 120mm so I canned the idea and put a false wall in to make it flush and its fine for my needs

Sponsored Links
Ahh that’s fair enough, it was more of a cost issue instead of gaining space, with having 3 sockets that will all need bringing forward into a false wall, along with coving and skirting.

My theory was to ‘localise’ the work to just the chimney breast instead of the whole 15ft wall. Thinking that it would be the cheaper option but your experience is helpful, thank you.

I was replacing the whole ceiling and re plastering the walls and having new skirting anyway but the cost v's the gains was not worth it at all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back