Precedure for oak block wood flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello.
can anyone give me advice on fitting a oak block wood flooring.
its going to be installed over concrete.
what i'd like to to know is should i glue the tongue and groove as well as put either bitumen or lecol 5500 down adhesive down

also should i use just a dmp or would it be ok to use combilay with the adhesive on top of that?
any advice would be welcomed

thank you

Sponsored Links
hi.
i read the other guys story but still dont know exactly the right precedure, so if you can without sending me elsewhere can you just answer here exactly how to fit this floor please.
Im going to fit it in BRICK STYLE PATTEREN, but theres only ONE TONGUE on the longest side, so think i will have to slice up some blocks and cut thinly for tongues to fit in the grooves of the ends.
should i lay just a DPM SHEET, or the COMBILAY with the DPM built in, or does LECOL 5500 have a BUILT IN DPM?, and just lay the adhesive on the concreate with the blocks on top?........also do i use PVA GLUE ON ALL THE JOINTS or not, im afraid i will have massive gaps if i dont....this is giving me a headache!!.... :(
and how much expansion gap should i have, the room is 15 sq mtre..
in those other pictures where you sent me i couldnt see any "cork expansion strips" looked like they were pushed right up against the wall.

please help!

thank you

Well, could you start with posting the exact measurements of your blocks? Because i think you are mixing two methods together I'm afraid: fully glueing to the concrete and installing floating with glueing the T&G (using DPM and sound-insulation)
As for sending you somewhere else: some questions have been asked before and answered accordingly, so I'm not promissing anything ;)

Sponsored Links
hi again, sorry to be a pain

the blocks are 70mm by 210mm and theres only 1 tongue on the longest side and grooves on the rest
and i want to fit them in a brick style pattern
the floor isint exactly level so what would be the best way to fit the floor..

1. do i need to put down a DPM, or COMBILAY to help with uneven floors?

1a. or do i just use the adhesive, theres already some bitumen left on the blocks, ive cleaned the joints and thats all im doing.

2. do i need to use cork expansion strips around the endges on the walls, or do i butt up the blocks to the walls?

3. do i need to cut little strips of wood so the ends of the blocks have a tongue to fit on to, as theres only grooves and would have to butt up to each other?

thanxs for any help.

Branston Pickle said:
1a. or do i just use the adhesive, theres already some bitumen left on the blocks, ive cleaned the joints and thats all im doing.
If your blocks are unfinished (sanding afterwards) little difference in height after installation will be 'sanded away'.
But be aware of the longer bonding time bitumen residue causes

Branston Pickle said:
2. do i need to use cork expansion strips around the endges on the walls, or do i butt up the blocks to the walls?
Neither: cork expansion strips isn't really a good name: they fill your expansion gap and only allow for limited expansion of the blocks. Leave 10mm expansion gaps all around and cover that with flat beading or scotia/quadrants

Branston Pickle said:
3. do i need to cut little strips of wood so the ends of the blocks have a tongue to fit on to, as theres only grooves and would have to butt up to each other?
No need for creating extra grooves or strips, fully bonding the floor will keep everything down.

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back