Prep skirting,what's next.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just started to sand down my old glossed skirting boards how much do I need to sand,
I have taken the shine off but it is leaving tiny little specks gloss ,would this be alright to leave, or do I need to get every speck off. In some places I am down to the bare wood just a little worried that I have gone to far.

Also I have spent hours and hours reading on johnstones aqua gloss and sikkens and satinwood egg shells, and I am so confused about it all.

Do I need to use a primer if so what one
What base coat do you think I should use
And what is the best non yellowing easy to work with,and the nicest finish top coat.
Also the best brush for painting my skirting and window frames.

Sorry for all the questions

Thank you so much in advance for your help and advice

Miss joe having a go

Sponsored Links
Sanding back to bare wood is too far so you will need to spot prime these areas before applying your top coats but, as you want to use a non yellowing water based gloss/satin, and because water based glosses are renowned for being easy to peel/scrape off underprepared surfaces, then it may be wise to use a high grip primer over all the surface(s) first. It's probably over the top to prime everything, but if you are unsure as to whether you have sanded back enough, then it could be worthwhile. Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3 is the go-to primer within the trade for this job and, in theory, doesn't even require you to sand the existing gloss at all, but I've always preferred to do so as it takes off any rough spots and gives a better finish.

It's virtually impossible to remove all the shine of existing gloss because of undulations in the surface, and a few little specks here and there shouldn't be too much of a problem, but with water based paints you can never be sure. A nylon sanding pad, rather than just sandpaper, may help if you are worried about there being too much shine still showing.

As for the actual gloss to use, then it seems that Johnstones Aqua is regarded as about the best (I don't paint anymore so can't give a true opinion) but I would recommend using the undercoat and topcoat for the best finish possible. Using paints from the same system is always better practice as this is how paint companies 'guarantee' their finishes.
Use a good quality, synthetic bristle brush and dampen slightly before use to help the paint flow better. If the bristles start to dry out the wash then brush before continuing or you will end up with brushmarks in the finish.

BTW, welcome, and having a go is the only real way to learn. ;)

Hi thank you for the advice, would I need to use a conditioner (not sure of the name) for the gloss?

The main area that I sanded to bare wood is on a louvre door, the skirting so far so good so really so just a light sand will be good enough then using the products you mention.

THANK YOU

Again
Xxxx

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't need any paint conditioners really. Sometimes with large, flat areas, where the paint can dry too quickly, then something like Floetrol (for water based paints) may be required, but you should be fine with doors, skirting, etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back