Preparation advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Prior to me removing the existing tiles in the bathroom some had worked loose and some had actually fallen off. I suspected this was because the tiler had only put five "blobs" of adhesive on the back of each tile.
Anyway, I was going to put up decorative cladding so I screwed some battens to the wall with Gripfill (green tube) added for good measure.
Cue, she who must be obeyed deciding that she now wants tiles. So today I removed the battens. I was expecting some resistance from the Gripfill, but the battens came off easily. There appeared to be no adhesion by the Gripfill to the plastered surface below. Bearing in mind that I now intend to fit 300 x 400mm ceramic tiles to these walls should I consider some sort of primer or other preparation before I proceed. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It the plaster loose?
If its soundly fixed then prime it first with acrylic primer,generally you should be ok fixing tiles that size with tub adhesive if you use a large notch,say 10mm but if they are heavy then go for powdered.

Hi lancenotalot.

The plaster isn't loose. It was obviously skimmed at the same time the bathroom was last done. Just a bit concerned that if I'm not careful all my efforts will come undone especially around the bath area. I plan on using a BAL adhesive so will have a look at their primers. Thanks for the reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back