Preparation & Finishing advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a some woodwork in our stair area which I believe is finished with a stain (could be varnish, I'm no expert).

My partner wants it finished in white so I need some advice on the best way to prepare it to receive a paint finish and what paint to use.

The finish needs to withstand a bit of cleaning I guess since it's white.

Here are photos of the areas concerned.

I was just planning to go at it for the day with some 80 grit sandpaper to strip the finish and then smooth of with some 120 grit before applying some kind of undercoat paint and finishing with perhaps satinwood?

Advice please!

Sponsored Links
I was just about to write exactly what you have written. Use an oil based undercoat and sand gently with 120 grit before your topcoat.

Would a water-based satinwood over the oil-based undercoat be okay?

No. Water based paints have a higher surface tension so you get brush marks. Oil based has low surface tension so if you don't over-brush it the brush marks will drop out. Try dropping droplets of water on a plastic surface then oil and you'll see what I mean.

Sponsored Links
Is it necessary to strip the wood bare before undercoating it? Or would it be sufficient to just get the majority of the finish off?

No need for either. Just rub the shine away and make it smooth.

As joe says dont use water based paints on this as it will probably peel off. It wont adhere to the surface as oil paint will.
You could try a primer like Zinsser to help with the adhesion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back