Preparation for papering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have stripped off the old lining paper in the house which has traditional plastered walls. Below is an image showing the chimney breast wall. There was a picture rail before I pulled it down so I have gone round and filled/sanded/filled/sanded... etc.

View media item 76092
Now we are nearly at the stage of 'decorating' I wanted to see if people thought my approach was sound.

Once walls are relatively flat, emulsion the walls with watered down mix.

Fill and sand any areas still not acceptable

Size walls with watered down paste

Paper - superfresco or similar due to quality of walls.

Sponsored Links
Yes, except that before you apply your top paper, you should crossline with at least 1000 grade lining paper. That will provide a sound, smooth surface ontop which you can then put virtually any top paper - it doesn't have to be that nasty super fresco stuff.

If you plan simply to paint the top paper, then instead of cross lining, vertically hand Mav Erfurt Wallrock Fibreliner, which will give a smooth, tough surface onto which to paint. (I use it to line really grotty walls, too, if necessary). It's a bit more expensive than ordinary lining paper but signifcantly tougher and looks fantastic. http://www.gowallpaper.co.uk/wallro...reliner.html?gclid=CPSBtLqW6L0CFQEXwwodKqAABg
It comes in 50cm, 75 cm or 1m wide rolls and is a paste the wall product - big plus.

BTw, why have you done away with the picture rail? It is part of your house's architectural heritage.Please stop these acts of vandalism.

It was lined previously so I will have a think about that route again. We are only only planing on having painted wallpaper which is pretty plain. Hence the superfresco.

Is the emulsioning of the walls before sizeing or papering okay? The room was in a state and the picture rail needed to go. We did however decide to keep the picture rail downstairs and that looks very nice!

Is the emulsioning of the walls before sizeing or papering okay?

You don't really need to emulsion it if you are going to size it.

The important thing is to get the surface as flat and smooth as possible before applying/hanging the final decoration.

Sponsored Links
Ahh okay. But i probably should emulsion the newly skimmed bay area before sizing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back