Prepare opening for bifold doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Hoping for some advice to prepare getting a bifold door fitted. The bifold will be fitted by a pro.
The existing opening has a door and small wall under the side window, as below.

The width of the opening is 80", approx 203cm.
It looks like an easy size of bifold to source is 6'.
I'd like to avoid an expensive custom made bifold, and was thinking I could close the gap by approx 20cm and use a standard door.

I was thinking of cutting medium density blocks and building up a column of them against the right hand edge in the picture. Rather than key/tooth? in the bricks, I was going to strip the plaster to reveal the brickwork on the side and then use very long screws put into wall and sunk in the mortar between each piece of new block . A wall starter seemed overkill for a line that will have a frame against it too.

Is this a sensible course of action?
How would you guys handle it?

Sponsored Links
Any off the peg Bi-folds will be from the likes of B&Q so should be avoided. Do not think that because a door is built to measure it will be more expensive.

No self respecting supplier will supply doors/windows to standard sizes only.

Besides a 20cm slither of masonry will just crack.

Any off the peg Bi-folds will be from the likes of B&Q so should be avoided. Do not think that because a door is built to measure it will be more expensive.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Good points.

I'll get some quotes in and see what I'm looking at for made to measure.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Good points.

I'll get some quotes in and see what I'm looking at for made to measure.

Make sure you check out local suppliers found in yellow pages etc.
And definitely avoid the national double glazing chains with their high pressure salesmen.

Sponsored Links
Make sure you check out local suppliers found in yellow pages etc.
And definitely avoid the national double glazing chains with their high pressure salesmen.

Oh definitely.
I only made the mistake once of inviting one the double glazing chains to quote for windows in my last house.
Couldn't get rid of them and they spent a lot of time assassinating one of the other companies I was getting a quote from. Not divulged that sort of information again!
I used a decent local firm, family run business and the son who came out to quote personally. They did a very decent job.
Would look for the same - I just like a bit of background on what I'm looking at first, so I can make an informed decision.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back