Prepare walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got to repaint my mum’s flat, its been a good few years. Do I need to wash the walls down with anything or is it OK to just start painting? Theres no wallpaper, just paint when it was done last.

Sponsored Links
There will be all sorts of grime on the old painted walls (no offence) -- I would wash them down with Sugar Soap.

Its probably the only way to get a good key for the new paint.

Stoyer

Thanks for that. Is it just a gentle wipe using a sponge with the sugar soap, or do I need to get the scourer out? The walls don't appear to have any food residue, just good old fashioned grime and dust.

How long does it take the sugar soap to dry before I can paint?

If the walls are nice and smooth, just give them a wash down with a scouring sponge and some soapy water.

Obviously if the walls aren't smooth, fill and sand as needed.

Sponsored Links
As Stoyer and zenemu mentioned, it is probably best to try to gentlely wash the wall down first as the wallpaper may not stick properly if it's a dirty wall.

If there is lots of bumps and holes, you may be best replastering the wall first. If it isn't too bad then just use lining paper to cover the wall, then apply the wallpaper on top of that.

Hope this helps, good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back