Preparing an RSG prior to external rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

Before I ask my question I think I'd better explain how we got to where we are. My house was built as a private dwelling, then converted to a shop. The front wall was taken out, an RSG put across and a plate glass window put in. Then the shop was converted BACK to a house, and a crappy damp, nasty looking bay window thing tacked over the aperture (also covering the RSG).

Now I've bought the house, torn down the crappy bay window, built a low wall across the original aperture and slotted in a nice wooden casement window. So far so good. But the RSG is now exposed on the exterior of the house, and before I get it rendered I need to fill it with something to bring it flush, or as near as I can, with the brickwork above.

Any advice on what to try? Can I sandwich bricks in there with mortar - will they hold? If I try that route, would it help to treat the steel with PVA beforehand?

Or should I fit in apeice of timber in there, and if so - how to attach it? I've got nothing in my toolbox that looks like it would drill a hole throught the RSG.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Oz

Sponsored Links
hammer in some vertical snug fitting noggings into the r.s.j. channel then fix e.m.l. to the noggings. you can then render the e.m.l. it helps to use two layers of e.m.l., fix the top layer slightly offset to the one below.

Cheers Noseall - that's Saturday morning all set up for me, then!

Two more questions: should I run the eml over onto the edge of the joist onto the surrounding exposed brickwork/timber - will this help the renderer, or royally **** him off, when I get one in? - (half the front wall need re-rendering, and there's no way I'm going to do that bit myself!)

Also - is there anything to be gained from packing the RSJ with insulating material, between the noggins, before the eml goes on? These single skin walls are cold enough as it is , so anything that would protect against the cold is a bonus.

Cheers

Oz

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back