Preparing ceiling after woodchip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

Just had the pleasure of painstakingly removing woodchip from a bedroom ceiling, using a scraper. Yes, I could have used a steam stripper but a) it would have cost far too much to run the thing for several hours and b) there's already a problem with condensation in the room, and I don't want to add to it by generating clouds of steam.

Beneath this wretched stuff I found traces of old paint, presumably emulsion. Its a 1960s bungalow and although the ceiling is in reasonable nick, with just one open plasterboard crack which could be filled and taped, I'd prefer to finish it with lining paper. I'll remove any loose stuff and rub it down, but is there anything else I should apply--a sealant to prime the bare surface, for example--before lining the ceiling?

Ta very much.

Sponsored Links
1960s paint wash off?
Tends to not have any vinyl in it and degraded a bit over time. Wash test proves.
I sand off the worst
Apply gardz (can buy online and 2.5lt will be plenty)
I have the kit but bodge cheap orbital with 100 grade paper to vacuum will take off old powdery paint if needed..

A steamer doesn’t cost that much to run? Way less than the value of time spent fixing issues.

I sanded mine after strpping

If you got the strength and shape scraper I scrape off..
Some roll a mix of thin wallpaper paste and water over after removing the paper surface chips but I get at it dry. Tend to get the worst off dry before spraying water.
When getting paid you soon learn to get it of quickly.
Wallpaper scraper with the bigger 25mm wide snap off knife blades I use. Supplied wallpaper blades are useless to me.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.

I think a steamer probably does cost a fair bit to run nowadays ( and I'm not short of time). A bit like boiling a kettle then keeping it running at just below boiling point for several hours. And then there's the issue with the steam in a room where there's already a problem with condensation.

I've scraped off most of the paper and old paint, but having thought about it overnight (and although Gardz sounds good) I'll probably just rub down, dust off, lightly size and paper. If the lining paper falls off I'll make curtains out of it instead.

Again, thanks.

October 22 prices.
a 2kw steamer costs 64p an hour to run.

I used to run my steamer on Halfords deionised water to avoid scaling up before I twigged that a £25 steamer was cheaper to replace if it scaled up, so used tap water thereafter.

October 22 prices.
a 2kw steamer costs 64p an hour to run.

I used to run my steamer on Halfords deionised water to avoid scaling up before I twigged that a £25 steamer was cheaper to replace if it scaled up, so used tap water thereafter.

My steamer, when purchased new was £150. The same model is now just shy of £500

That is silly money and although I am a decorator, I have only used it for about 4 hours over the last 5 years.

Many of the houses that I work in are Victorian, with the horsehair plaster with a gypsum skim over the top.

It is often safer to either sand away the paper facing and line over it, or to use a paper tiger to punch small holes in to the paper and then use a sponge and water with washing up liquid

Edit--- I was once silly enough to pour in the Zinnser enzyme based wall paper remover in to my machine. It gummed it up. My bad.

Hi again, change of plan.
The woodchip has gone, but rather than papering I’ve decided that the surface is probably good enough to paint. Not quite good enough for a standard emulsion, so I’m thinking maybe one of those slightly thicker “crack-free” products, or even a textured paint. The surface is basically sound and has been given a good rub down with 80 grit, but there are some patches of old paint that have potentially loose edges, so the ceiling probably needs sealing first. What products would you guys recommend to seal and paint a ceiling in this condition?

Thought some pics might be useful. The lighter patches are old paint, the darker is the original 1960s plaster.
0687046B-C9D9-4E20-B65D-C92A9050A49E.jpeg
A3561CF6-0EBB-47A2-B46F-2FC02D0B8B34.jpeg
F42D7835-0BE6-415B-AF16-B2DBAB48D05D.jpeg

I would advise against painting it as it is but I don't know what you tolerance levels are.

At a minimum, try removing the old traces of paper.

I would advise against painting it as it is but I don't know what you tolerance levels are.

At a minimum, try removing the old traces of paper.
It’s paint rather than paper, but to be honest I’ve had enough and just want to get it done. Would I need to apply a sealant in order to prepare the surface for new wallpaper if I change my mind again? Or would a sealant inhibit adhesion?

The Guardz recommended by @Wayners will be fine and won't cause any problems further down the line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back