Preparing Fireplace/hearth for tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm going to be redoing the brickwork and raising the arch on the old fireplace of what will be a kitchen (see pic). It will not be a working fire but will have an electric oven set in instead. I will then be tiling the hearth area.

As you can see from the picture the hearth is a bit of a mess. So, I am thinking that before I take the bricks down I need to sort out the hearth. Does anyone have advice on the best way to do this?

I was thinking I need to fill in the hole with old bricks and then pour the concrete on top of that. I would like the tiles to be flush with the wooden floor so won't bring the concrete right up to the floorboards. I had planned to fill the hole this way and cover over the old concrete that's still in the actual fireplace. This should give a flat enough surface for tiling.

If anyone has any advice on better methods or knows that this is a bad approach I'd be grateful for your advice!

Sponsored Links
Also if anyone has any concrete reccomendations that'd be great. I'll be mixing by hand!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back