Preparing for artex.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had problems in an en-suite containing a shower. It was a new house when we moved in some 10yrs ago, and after about 4yrs I went to paint over the artex in the en-suite and some of it came off having turned powdery.
I removed the remainder of the artex and have painted it three or four times since, but we have condensation problems there and the ceiling paint keeps blistering.
I've decided to artex again to try and solve the problem. I've stripped off all the blistered paint, which seems to be the 4 or 5 inches around the edges, down to the plaster/board. What do I need to do next? Can I artex it over as it is or will I have to remove the rest of the paint which appears sound. The paint is Polycell Textured Ceilings silk ripple effect.

Sponsored Links
When you re-painted did you use a mist coat (40%water/non-vinyl emulsion) or a plaster sealer? Apart from your condensation problem, it sounds like the plaster is dry, what with the artex and subsequent paint falling off. New builds are notorious for not sealing plaster, especially where artex is concerned.

Re-artexing won't cure your problem and will create quite a few more, mainly drying time - correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe artex can't be painted for at least two weeks. Also its not easy to get an even finish and IMHO looks naff.

I would - sort out condensation problem (try a search - button at top of page), start with a fan and get into a routine of ventilating bathroom after steam build up. Seal the bare plaster and then emulsion, probably with a vinyl silk (don't get caught out with these pricey "bathroom" paints, they're awful).

Thx for that...........you may be correct about the plaster.
When I say condensation problem, what I mean is that the moisture in the room is clearly causing the problem, but I have a fan and the window is never closed. If the paintwork was sound then I wouldn't think that the moisture is so bad that it should have this impact. The trouble is that the finish underneath the original artex was not brilliant, so I thought I'd use the artex, not only to provide a better seal that just putting emulsion on, but also to cover up any slight uneveness.
Think I'll go back to basics and strip right back, ensure the misting is done properly and then re-assess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back