Preparing steels for painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some second hand steel beams (U channel) that I'm using to replace the lightweight trusses in my garage roof. They are currently rusty in many places, and the old peeling paint needs to come off as well.

Without spending loads of cash what's the bext way to get these back to metal for painting.

I have a grinder and was thinking of using flap discs, or twisted bevel wire brush. Or can I just use fibre disc with backing pad?

Any other suggestions?

Also what would I need to paint them with, will a couple coats of red oxide primer be enough for long term protection?

Sponsored Links
Is this a necessity? Garage is freestanding, single storey. All walls and ceiling will be lined with 12.5mm and cavity filled with 100mm rockwool. Any fire inside the room won't reach the steel for at least 1/2 hour.

Deluks said:
Is this a necessity? Garage is freestanding, single storey. All walls and ceiling will be lined with 12.5mm and cavity filled with 100mm rockwool. Any fire inside the room won't reach the steel for at least 1/2 hour.

i guess the intu' paint would be a little overkill then. ;)

wire brush and red oxide then.

i'm of the opinion that, thick section steel such as rsj's etc, will take an awful long time to rust away, particularly those indoors and boxed in.

in a few thousand years from now, the 'time team' will be finding in tact pieces of steel and muttering 'ooh 21st century timber frame i believe'.:cool:

Sponsored Links
Shotblast and primer paint is the way for new ones.
But in your case, id go with the twist knott brush and some zinc rich primer, red or grey.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back